African newspapers at Stanford University
Current print African newspapers are in Green Library's Information Center, first floor. There are TWO sections for current African print newspapers.
- A few titles are in front of the Magazine Racks.
- Most of the African newspapers are Behind the Magazine Racks.
Some African newspapers are treated like Magazines / Journals (for example Namibia Economist) and current issues will be in the Current Periodicals section, Information Center, first floor, Green Library.
For older issues, check the below:
- In Searchworks (online catalog). select Resource type Newspaper. In the search box, enter the country name.
- The Hoover Newspaper Catalog (in Hoover Tower) may have titles not found through Searchworks. Some newspapers on film may only be listed in the Hoover Newspaper Catalog. (Hoover is Open M-F, 8-5.)
Titles not listed as Air Mail come by Sea Mail and may be 3-6 months old.
Titles designated Microfilm Only are only on microfilm and will be several months/years old.
For newspapers on the web, see Africa South of the Sahara - Newspapers by Country.
Current African print newspapers
Nation (daily), Cotonou 1980: May 2- Air Mail (formerly EHUZU)
Botswana Guardian, 1986 -
Daily News, Gaborone 1974: Jan-
The only daily, govt.-owned.
Cameroun Tribune, Yaounde
Islam Info (weekly), Abidjan
Nation Djibouti (weekly), Djibouti 1980: Jun- AIR MAIL
Ethiopian Herald (daily), Addis Ababa 1965: May 5-
Daily Observer, Banjul
Daily Graphic, Accra. 1982: Dec 31 -
Ghanaian Voice, Accra
Lynx , Conakry
Daily Nation, Nairobi
East African, Nairobi [pub. by The Nation]
Sunday Nation, Nairobi
Daily Times, Blantyre 1973: Jan 1-
Malawi News, Blantyre 1960: Nov 26-
The Nation, Blantyre 2002: Feb 16 -
Mauritius News, London
Namibia Economist, Windhoek
New Era, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Windhoek 1991: Jul 11-
Nigerian Canadian News, Toronto, Canada
New Times, Kigali
Wal Fadjri /L’aurore, Dakar
Le Nouveau Seychelles Weekly, on order
The People, Victoria, Mahe (in Current Periodicals)
Afrikaner (weekly), Herstigte Nasionale Party, Pretoria
In Afrikaans 1976: Mar 19-
City Press (weekly), Johannesburg 1983: Sept 25-
Mail & Guardian (weekly), Johannesburg AIR MAIL 1985: Jun 14-
Sudan Mirror (Nairobi, Kenya)
Mzalendo (weekly), Dar es Salaam 1972: Apr 30 - In Swahili
Daily Monitor, Kampala (former Monitor)
New Vision (daily), Kampala 1986: Apr 9-
Sunday Vision, Kampala [see New Vision]
Post, Lusaka 1993: Jan 15-
Sunday Times Of Zambia 1987: Jan 4-
Times Of Zambia, Ndola 1967 Feb. -
Sunday Mail, Harare
Zimbabwean (weekly), Southampton, U.K. 2005
Current and older news
- Access World News (from Newsbank, Stanford users only). Selection of African newspaper articles dating from 2000; dates available are limited.
- African Newspapers - World Newspaper Archive 1800-1922 (Readex, Newsbank)
Stanford users only. Selected newspaper issues dating from 1800 to 1922.
- AllAfrica.com 1996 to date. Stanford subscribes to the Premium Search Engine. Put in your keyword search. On the next page, click on Premium Search Engine.
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service 1946-1996 (from Newsbank, Stanford users only). Transcripts of radio broadcasts. Selection of articles from African news sources.
- LexisNexis (Stanford users only). Full text articles. Has news articles from three South African newspapers (Business Day, Financial Mail, Sunday Times), AllAfrica.com, Agence France Presse.
Africa South of the Sahara: Selected Internet Resources
- Breaking News (BBC, CNN, AP, etc.)
- News - By Country - Links to African newspapers / news sources.
- News - Continent Wide - Links to African news sources.
Mail and Guardian Print Index
There is an older print index for the South African newspaper, Weekly Mail and Guardian (or Mail and Guardian) covering 1992-2004. It's in Green Library's Information Center (behind the Reference Desk). Call No. A13.W44