Question: Is there a way I can find old movie/film scripts?
For older movie scripts:
- The Delmer Daves collection within Special Collections in Green Library has scripts up to 1965.
- Other collections within Special Collections may have scripts as well (film and theatre). You can get a list of these by doing an advanced search in SearchWorks. In the keyword search box, type "scripts," and then search the catalog.
- This bibliography may help you find scripts before 1975: Published Radio, Television and Film Scripts by Howard Poteet (Z7223 .S3 P68 in Green Library).
For movies made any time:
- Movie Scripts and Screenplays, a web-based script search site. You may be able to get additional film information at the Internet Movie Database.
- Yale University's guide to finding screenplays and filmscripts.
- A SearchWorks subject search using the (slightly odd) phrase "motion picture plays". The term "motion picture plays - bibliography" will lead to bibliographies, but there aren't many. You can also try these terms in WorldCat or any other US library catalog.
For movies made in the 1990s and beyond:
- The Contemporary American Screenplay Collection in Special Collections (PN1997 .A1 C66 1990). The finding aid has details of each script title.