Digital Library Systems and Services (DLSS)
Recognizing the ongoing need to position itself for the digital future, the Stanford University Libraries (SUL) created the Digital Library Systems and Services (DLSS) group in 2004. DLSS is the information technology production arm of the Stanford Libraries; it serves as the digitization, digital preservation and access systems provider for SUL; and it is the research and development unit for new technologies, standards and methodologies related to library systems.
DLSS supports the mission of SUL by working in collaboration with relevant SUL units and individuals to:
- plan, design, implement and operate technology services, systems and infrastructure for the Stanford University Libraries, including the library management system (Unicorn) and component parts; web and access systems, digitization lab software (labware); and the core server, database, storage, backup and web infrastructure.
- provision and manage digital resources for the Libraries through their complete lifecycle, including project management and digitization/preservation consulting; acquisition; digitization; metadata design, specification and generation; digital preservation; online access; and overall management of digital materials.
- research, evaluate, design, and implement emerging technology, standards and methodologies for digital collection development and management, digital preservation (including the Stanford Digital Repository), and online access to Library resources, and the related library infrastructure to support all of the above.
DLSS builds upon purchased systems, locally developed tools, and increasingly, public domain software. In these areas, it provides significant local integration and enhancement, plus ongoing support of these applications and their technical environments. The group also actively participates in and contributes to the library, higher education and open source communities around technologies, methods and standards.
Digital Library Blog
- SDR Deposit of the week: Undergraduate theses in Physics and Engineering Physics | May 21, 2013
- Milestone reached for the University's Electronic Thesis and Dissertation system | May 14, 2013
- SDR Deposit of the Week: What’s the Big Idea … Festival? | May 9, 2013
- SDR Deposit of the Week: Supplemental Data for Publications | April 30, 2013
- Psychedelic therapy: Betty Grover Eisner and LSD | April 29, 2013