Maps of Africa metadata remediation guidelines
Metadata remediation guidelines provided by Robert Rohrbacher, MDU
I) You can view the master tracking sheet on Consul (restricted).
II) Metadata remediation (Data Control & E-Resources Control Units).
A) All transcribed data in the record such as titles and publication statements need to be verified against the map image. If discrepancies are found (e.g., missing diacritical marks), they should be corrected.
B) Identifier field.
1) Label “Reference ID” for is for MOA numbers.
2) Label “Object ID” is for 5 digit numbers.
3) Assign label “Call number” for actual LC classification numbers.
4) Assign label for “Central Map Collection ID” for call numbers starting with “Africa.”
C) Title information field.
1) Title type should be “Main”.
2) Check title against image of map to insure that it is accurately transcribed.
3) Some records have an additional translated title. These are ok.
4) If a statement of responsibility appears in the title, it should be removed and placed in a note field with note type “Statement of responsibility.”
D) Name field.
1) Role term. This part should be fine, since the roles creator, engraver, and illustrator were mapped over from the original metadata.
E) Resource type field.
1) No need to edit. The field should already be set to “Cartographic.”
F) Origin information field.
1) In publisher field, transcribe publisher as it appears on map as opposed to the name heading given in original metadata.
2) Creation date: Set Key date to “yes” or “no”. The key date must be a specific year in four digits. If the publication date is not specific or questionable, you would enter it with an appropriate “qualifier”, but not code it as the key date. Instead, add another date field with the year that you pick as the key date (this should be the earliest possible date), and enter it with qualifier “Exact”. For example, if the publication date is in square brackets, enter it with qualifier “inferred (firm date in square bracket)”, key date = No. Then input another date field with qualifier “exact” to make it the key date.
G) Coordinates field.
1) Assign one of the following from the drop down menu: African Continent, Eastern Hemisphere, World, North Pole (Polar Projection), South Pole (Polar Projection), and Atlantic Ocean. Set aside those that are not obvious, and add “coordinates not assigned” to the notes in the tracking sheet.
H) Subject field.
1) Add subdivision maps (e.g.: Africa—Maps)
2) Remove “Subject-Date” field.
I) Genre field.
1) Records have been pre-populated with “Maps,” “Digital maps,” “Early maps (to 1800)” Cataloger will remove “Early maps” for any maps published after 1800.
J) Physical description field.
1) Remove the first “cm.” and remove the period after “cm” (e.g.: 30 cm. x 40 cm. to 30 x 40 cm).
1) Choose appropriate “Current note type” from pull-down menu. Existing “label” will be suppressed in display.
2) Remove notes with label “nor_num”.
3) “Reference” note. Some records have a note in the form: Norwich (2nd ed.), map 0057, p. 71. Remove the c-key if there is one. Copy and paste full citation to the Norwich catalog, followed by map number and pagination. (The citation is: Norwich, I., Pam Kolbe, and Jeffrey C Stone. Norwich's Maps of Africa: An Illustrated and Annotated Carto-Bibliography. 2nd ed. / rev. and edited by Jeffrey C. Stone. Norwich, Vt.: Terra Nova Press, 1997). For example: Norwich, I., Pam Kolbe, and Jeffrey C Stone. Norwich's Maps of Africa: An Illustrated and Annotated Carto-Bibliography. 2nd ed. / rev. and edited by Jeffrey C. Stone. Norwich, Vt.: Terra Nova Press, 1997. Map 0057, p. 71.
4) Provenance note: leave if it’s the name of a person or organization, but remove if it’s “CMC” (for Central map collection).
L) Enter your initials in the Cataloging remediation column of the tracking sheet. Do the same in the Coordinates column if you assigned the coordinates for that record.
III) Authority work (MDU)
A) MDU will enter the authorized forms of personal and corporate names from the NAF, as well as the authority URI from id.loc.gov. Those names not found in the NAF will be established.
E-Resources Control Unit, Metadata Dept., Stanford University Libraries Created: Oct. 8, 2012 Last updated: October 18, 2012