Table of Contents
Not sure where to start? Try one of these databases.
- Less is more! If you don't find enough results on cycling of nitrates, instead try nitrogen.
- Expand time or geography. If you don't find enough results on Post-Eocene San Joaquin-Tulare Basins, instead try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
- Limit with caution. Certain limiting features may limit your retrieval in ways you don't expect. Some recommended limits are: Source Type, Date, and Limiting to “Peer reviewed” (in Basic and Advanced Search).
- GeoRef search tip: The truncation symbol is an asterisk (*) and the wildcard is a questionmark (?). Using the * on a word will look for ALL possible variations for that word:
environment* will search for environment, environmental, environments …
[*3]magnet* will search for magnetic, demagnetization, geomagnetic, geomagnetism …
geolog* will search for geology, geologic, and geological
- Remember to use Boolean logic. Use the OR search connector to search for different phrasings. If you use AND and OR search commands in the same search, put parentheses around the OR terms: try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
To specify a location, consider your site at different scales. For information about Lake Tahoe, use terms like:
- Lake Tahoe
- Northern Sierra Nevada
- State names (California and Nevada); County names
Also add geologically-related terms:
- mines and mining
And consider both time periods and rock formations:
- Cambrian, Pleistocene, etc.
- Navajo Sandstone
Subject Searching: For a more directed search, do a subject search. In a subject search, you need to use official Library of Congress terminology. This type of language might not seem natural to you, but if you are not having any luck with keywords, it can be quite useful. For example, to find a guide for the Lake Tahoe region, you would type:
- Geology--Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.)--Guidebooks
- Geology--Nevada--Reno Region--Guidebooks
Other "official" subject terms include:
- Geology, Structural
- Faults (Geology)
- Geology, Stratigraphic
- Geology, Stratigraphic--Pleistocene
- Plate tectonics
For the subject Geochemistry
search also under the broader term: Chemistry
search also under the broader term: Earth sciences
search also under the narrower term: Analytical geochemistry
search also under the narrower term: Biogeochemistry
More Subject Terms
- Environmental and Epidemiological Considerations of Refugee Camps
- Impacts of Quaternary Glacial Retreat on Amphibian Biogeography of the Rocky Mountains
- A Review of the Effects of Carbon Sequestration on Groundwater Quality
- Models of the opening of the Canada Basin and the movement of the Arctic Alaska-Chukotka Microplate
- A History of Conodonts from the Cambrian to the Triassic
- Felsic volcanism associated with large igneous provinces
- Channel Morphology as Indicator for Tectonic Slip in the Carrizo Plain, California
- Turbidites or Niger Delta or Fracking
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks
Major Reference Works and Encyclopedias
Oxford Reference Online brings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest and most trusted reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource. The Premium Collection offers a huge range of fully-indexed, extensively linked, up to date, and cross-searchable dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
Knovel provides access to over 2,000 leading reference works and databases from over 50 international publishers and professional societies through a single interface.
A list of resources to assist with writing and publishing in the sciences.
- Miller-Urey and Beyond: What Have We Learned About Prebiotic Organic Synthesis Reactions in the Past 60 Years?
- The Betic-Rif Arc and Its Orogenic Hinterland: A Review
- Composition and State of the Core
- The Late Paleozoic Ice Age: An Evolving Paradigm
- Global Cooling by Grassland Soils of the Geological Past and Near Future
- Kimberlite Volcanism
- The Behavior of the Lithosphere on Seismic to Geologic Timescales
- The Formation and Dynamics of Super-Earth Planets
- Who Should Read This Journal?
- Pyrogeography and the Global Quest for Sustainable Fire Management
- Water Conservation: Theory and Evidence in Urban Areas of the Developed World
- Recent Advances in Sustainable Buildings: Review of the Energy and Cost Performance of the State-of-the-Art Best Practices from Around the World
- Life-Cycle Assessment of Electric Power Systems
- Environmental Tipping Points
- Global Environmental Change and Human Security
- Regional and Global Emissions of Air Pollutants: Recent Trends and Future Scenarios
- A Global Assessment of Manufacturing: Economic Development, Energy Use, Carbon Emissions, and the Potential for Energy Efficiency and Materials Recycling