GS 150/GEOPHYS 199: Senior Seminar: Issues in Earth Sciences
Research and resources for GS 150/GEOPHYS 199 Senior Seminar: Issues in Earth Sciences
Table of Contents
Not sure where to start? Try one of these databases.
- Less is more! If you don't find enough results on cycling of nitrates, instead try nitrogen.
- Expand time or geography. If you don't find enough results on Pre-Eocene San Joaquin-Tulare Basins, instead try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
- Limit with caution. Certain features may limit your retrieval in ways you don't expect. Some recommended limits are: Source Type, Date, and Limiting to “Peer reviewed” (in Basic and Advanced Search).
- GeoRef search tip: The truncation symbol is an asterisk (*) and the wildcard is a questionmark (?). Using the * on a word will look for ALL possible variations for that word:
- environment* will search for environment, environmental, environments …
- [*3]magnet* will search for magnetic, demagnetization, geomagnetic, geomagnetism …
- geolog* will search for geology, geologic, and geological
- Remember to use Boolean logic. Use the OR search connector to search for different phrasings. If you use AND and OR search commands in the same search, put parentheses around the OR terms: try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
- To specify a location, consider your site at different scales. For information about Lake Tahoe, use terms like:
- Lake Tahoe
- Northern Sierra Nevada
- State names (California and Nevada); County names
- Also add geologically-related terms:
- mines and mining
- And consider both time periods and rock formations:
- Cambrian, Pleistocene, etc.
- Navajo Sandstone
For a more directed search, do a subject search. In a subject search, you need to use official Library of Congress terminology. This type of language might not seem natural to you, but if you are not having any luck with keywords, it can be quite useful. For example, to find a guide for the Lake Tahoe region, you would type:
- Geology--Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.)--Guidebooks
- Geology--Nevada--Reno Region--Guidebooks
Other "official" subject terms include:
- Geology, Structural
- Faults (Geology)
- Geology, Stratigraphic
- Geology, Stratigraphic--Pleistocene
- Plate tectonics
For the subject Geochemistry:
- search also under the broader term Chemistry
- search also under the broader term Earth sciences
- search also under the narrower term Analytical geochemistry
- search also under the narrower term Biogeochemistry
More Subject Terms
Note that this is a sampling of items within SearchWorks and cannot be used as exhaustive list. This will help get you started.
- Intermediate volcanism associated with the McDermitt Volcanic Field
- Calderas and associate igneous rocks (title)
- Volcanic fields.
- Volcanic activity prediction > Yellowstone National Park.
- Kinetics and Stable Isotope Fractionation of Zinc Adsorbing onto Quartz
- Tomography, seismic data processing, processing code development
- Rock physics, chemical interactions of rocks and CO2 (including lab measurements)
- Submarine landslides, marine terrace sedimentology, slope stability and sea level rise
- InSAR data, water shortages, water pumping and subsidence, long-term deformation, resource management
- Geochemical conditions and source fluid composition of base metal sulfide mineralization in the Lón District, southeastern Iceland
- Applying Structure from Motion (SfM) Techniques to Map Ground Temperatures and Hydrothermal Radiant Heat Fluxes on Local Scales.
- Structure from motion.
- Mammoth Mountain. (Keyword search)
- Mammoth Lakes (Calif.)
- Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
- Proposal for “The Creation, Reliability, and Usefulness of Earthquake Catalogs”
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks
Major Reference Works and Encyclopedias
A list of resources to assist with writing and publishing in the sciences.
- Redox Effects on Organic Matter Storage in Coastal Sediments During the Holocene: A Biomarker/Proxy Perspective
- Climate Sensitivity in the Geologic Past
- The Climate of Titan
- Nuclear Forensic Science: Analysis of Nuclear Material Out of Regulatory Control
- Reconstructing Ocean pH with Boron Isotopes in Foraminifera
- Forensic Stable Isotope Biogeochemistry
- Biomarker Records Associated with Mass Extinction Events
- The Evolution of Brachiopoda
- Environmental Detection of Clandestine Nuclear Weapon Programs
- Permafrost Meta-Omics and Climate Change
- Who Should Read This Journal?
- Coral Reefs Under Climate Change and Ocean Acidification: Challenges and Opportunities for Management and Policy
- Risk Analysis and Bioeconomics of Invasive Species to Inform Policy and Management
- The Role of Material Efficiency in Environmental Stewardship
- Carbon Lock-In: Types, Causes, and Policy Implications
- Climate Change and Water and Sanitation: Likely Impacts and Emerging Trends for Action
- Environmental Issues in Central Africa
- Major Mechanisms of Atmospheric Moisture Transport and Their Role in Extreme Precipitation Events
- Human–Wildlife Conflict and Coexistence
- Valuing Cultural Ecosystem Services