Table of Contents
Select Urban Studies Databases
- Acdemic Search Premier
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary journal literature database. Includes full-text access.
- America, history and life with full text
- Provides full text coverage of the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. Includes nearly 200 journals and 100 books, selective indexing for over 1,700 journals, and abstracts in English of foreign language articles.
- Avery index to architectural periodicals
- Comprehensive listing of journal articles published worldwide on architecture and design, archaeology, city planning, interior design, and historic preservation. Coverage is from 1934 to the present.
- The Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) is a national information system providing access to education-related literature. Urban Education.
- Ethnic News Watch
- Full text articles from newspapers and periodicals published by the ethnic, minority and native press in the U.S. Coverage is from 1960 to date.
- Full text collection of journals, magazines, newsletters, regional publications, books, booklets and pamphlets, conference proceedings and governmental n-g-o and special reports devoted to women's and gender issues. Contains materials dating back to the 1970's.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences. This database is compiled by the British Library of Political and Economic Science of the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Index to Current Urban Documents
- The Index to Current Urban Documents (ICUD), published since 1972, contains reports and research generated by local government agencies, civic organizations, academic and research organizations, public libraries, and metropolitan and regional planning agencies from more than 500 major cities in the United States and Canada. The core of the collection are fiscal (budgets and financial reports) and architecture & planning documents.
- LexisNexis Statistical Insight
- Provides statistical data from U.S. government publications from 1973, state and private sources from 1980, and international organizations from 1983.
- MarketResearch.com academic
- Full-text service of market research reports on many topics. Includes more than 40,000 market intelligence publications from 350 publishers worldwide.
- Project Muse
- Features a collection of online scholarly journals that focuses on the humanities, social sciences, and mathematics.
- SCOPUS - Social Sciences
- Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database, including peer-reviewed titles from international publishers, Open Access journals, conference proceedings, trade publications, quality web sources.
- Social Science Citation Index
- An international, multidisciplinary index to the literature of the social, behavioral, and related sciences.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. The database provides abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews drawn from over 1,800+ serials publications, and also provides abstracts of books, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers.
- Sage Journals Online - See also "Journals" tab.
- Urban Studies Abstracts
- Urban Studies Abstracts includes bibliographic records covering essential areas related to urban studies, including urban affairs, community development, urban history, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline. Records are selected from many of the top titles within the discipline, including Journal of Urban Affairs, Urban Studies, and Canadian Journal of Urban Research.
Data archives & Statistics
- ABAG - Association of Bay Area Governments
- ABAG is committed to enhancing the quality of life in the San Francisco Bay Area by leading the region in advocacy, collaboration, and excellence in planning, research, and member services.
- Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA)
- The Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA) strives to democratize access to the best data on religion. Founded as the American Religion Data Archive in 1997 and going online in 1998, the initial archive was targeted at researchers interested in American religion.
- U.S. Census
- The Census Bureau serves as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy.
- Data.gov increases the ability of the public to easily find, download, and use datasets that are generated and held by the Federal Government.
- Healthy City
- Statistics are for California local areas, Dates vary depending on the statistics, population data goes back to 2000 Decennial Census.
- ICPSR (Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research)
- ICPSR maintains a data archive of more than 500,000 files of research in the social sciences.
- ICPSR Study #25 - Comparative Study of Community Decision Making
- This study contains data for 51 communities with populations of 50,000-750,000 in 22 states of the United States on the characteristics of community leadership, decision-making, and patterns of influence, as well as political, economic, and demographic composition of the communities and per capita expenditures for various common community functions.
- GSS General Social Survey
- The General Social Survey (GSS) conducts basic scientific research on the structure and development of American society with a data-collection program designed to both monitor societal change within the United States and to compare the United States to other nations.
- "Our surveys and studies address major topics concerning European citizenship: enlargement, social situation, health, culture, information technology, environment, the Euro, defence, etc."
- Hud User
- HUD USER provides interested researchers with access to the original data sets generated by PD&R-sponsored data collection efforts, including the American Housing Survey, HUD median family income limits, as well as microdata from research initiatives on topics such as housing discrimination, the HUD-insured multifamily housing stock, and the public housing population.
- iPoll (Roper Center for Public Opinion Research)
- iPoll is a comprehensive, up-to-date source for US nationwide public opinion.
- Maps of world cities
Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection - World City Maps
- National Center for Education Statistics
- NCES is the primary federal entity collecting and analyzing education-related data for the United States and other nations.Data Tools
- National Center for Health Statistics
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Select Journal Titles For Urban Studies Research
American journal of sociology
American sociological review
Annual review of sociology
Ecology and Society
Human rights & globalization law review
Journal of international marketing
Journal of marketing research
Journal of marketing; a journal for the advancement of science in marketing
Journal of planning literature
Journal of public policy & marketing
Migration; a quarterly review.
Mobilization : the international quarterly review of research in social movements, protest, and contentious politics
Population Studies : quarterly journal of demography
Sociology of education
Access World News
Access World News from NewsBank provides full-text information and perspectives from over 600 U.S. and over 700 international sources, each with its own distinctive focus offering diverse viewpoints on local, regional and world issues. Date coverage varies with individual newspaper.
News aggregator of African News sources. allAfrica.com is produced by AllAfrica Global Media. AllAfrica Global Media is a multi-media content service provider, systems technology developer and the largest electronic distributor of African news and information worldwide.
AP Images Images from the Associate Press
Provides worldwide full text coverage of local and regional newspapers, trade publications, business newswires, press release wires, media transcripts, news photos, business-rich Web sites, investment analyst reports, market research reports, country and regional profiles, company profiles, historical market data.
Lexis Nexis academic
Provides access to various databases, including current news, business information, company directories, federal and state laws, regulations, legal cases, medical and references.