Table of Contents
Select Urban Studies Databases
- Acdemic Search Premier
- Comprehensive multidisciplinary journal literature database. Includes full-text access.
- America, history and life with full text
- Provides full text coverage of the history and culture of the United States and Canada from prehistory to the present. Includes nearly 200 journals and 100 books, selective indexing for over 1,700 journals, and abstracts in English of foreign language articles.
- Avery index to architectural periodicals
- Comprehensive listing of journal articles published worldwide on architecture and design, archaeology, city planning, interior design, and historic preservation. Coverage is from 1934 to the present.
- The Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC) is a national information system providing access to education-related literature. Urban Education.
- Ethnic News Watch
- Full text articles from newspapers and periodicals published by the ethnic, minority and native press in the U.S. Coverage is from 1960 to date.
- Full text collection of journals, magazines, newsletters, regional publications, books, booklets and pamphlets, conference proceedings and governmental n-g-o and special reports devoted to women's and gender issues. Contains materials dating back to the 1970's.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences. This database is compiled by the British Library of Political and Economic Science of the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Index to Current Urban Documents
- The Index to Current Urban Documents (ICUD), published since 1972, contains reports and research generated by local government agencies, civic organizations, academic and research organizations, public libraries, and metropolitan and regional planning agencies from more than 500 major cities in the United States and Canada. The core of the collection are fiscal (budgets and financial reports) and architecture & planning documents.
- LexisNexis Statistical Insight
- Provides statistical data from U.S. government publications from 1973, state and private sources from 1980, and international organizations from 1983.
- MarketResearch.com academic
- Full-text service of market research reports on many topics. Includes more than 40,000 market intelligence publications from 350 publishers worldwide.
- PAIS International
- This resource covers issues in the public debate through selective coverage of a wide variety of international sources including journal articles, books, government documents, statistical directories, grey literature, research reports, conference papers, web content, and more.
- Project Muse
- Features a collection of online scholarly journals that focuses on the humanities, social sciences, and mathematics.
- SCOPUS - Social Sciences
- Scopus is the largest abstract and citation database, including peer-reviewed titles from international publishers, Open Access journals, conference proceedings, trade publications, quality web sources.
- Social Science Citation Index
- An international, multidisciplinary index to the literature of the social, behavioral, and related sciences.
- Sociological Abstracts
- Sociological Abstracts abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. The database provides abstracts of journal articles and citations to book reviews drawn from over 1,800+ serials publications, and also provides abstracts of books, book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers.
- Sage Journals Online - See also "Journals" tab.
- Urban Studies Abstracts
- Urban Studies Abstracts includes bibliographic records covering essential areas related to urban studies, including urban affairs, community development, urban history, and other areas of key relevance to the discipline. Records are selected from many of the top titles within the discipline, including Journal of Urban Affairs, Urban Studies, and Canadian Journal of Urban Research.
- Worldwide Political Science Abstracts
- This database provides abstracts and indexing of the international literature of political science and international relations, along with complementary fields, including international law and public administration/policy.
Data Archives & Statistics
- ABAG - Association of Bay Area Governments
- ABAG is committed to enhancing the quality of life in the San Francisco Bay Area by leading the region in advocacy, collaboration, and excellence in planning, research, and member services.
- Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA)
- The Association of Religion Data Archives (ARDA) strives to democratize access to the best data on religion. Founded as the American Religion Data Archive in 1997 and going online in 1998, the initial archive was targeted at researchers interested in American religion.
- U.S. Census
- The Census Bureau serves as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy.
- Data.gov increases the ability of the public to easily find, download, and use datasets that are generated and held by the Federal Government.
- Healthy City
- Statistics are for California local areas, Dates vary depending on the statistics, population data goes back to 2000 Decennial Census.
- ICPSR (Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research)
- ICPSR maintains a data archive of more than 500,000 files of research in the social sciences.
- ICPSR Study #25 - Comparative Study of Community Decision Making
- This study contains data for 51 communities with populations of 50,000-750,000 in 22 states of the United States on the characteristics of community leadership, decision-making, and patterns of influence, as well as political, economic, and demographic composition of the communities and per capita expenditures for various common community functions.
- GSS General Social Survey
- The General Social Survey (GSS) conducts basic scientific research on the structure and development of American society with a data-collection program designed to both monitor societal change within the United States and to compare the United States to other nations.
- "Our surveys and studies address major topics concerning European citizenship: enlargement, social situation, health, culture, information technology, environment, the Euro, defence, etc."
- Hud User
- HUD USER provides interested researchers with access to the original data sets generated by PD&R-sponsored data collection efforts, including the American Housing Survey, HUD median family income limits, as well as microdata from research initiatives on topics such as housing discrimination, the HUD-insured multifamily housing stock, and the public housing population.
- iPoll (Roper Center for Public Opinion Research)
- iPoll is a comprehensive, up-to-date source for US nationwide public opinion.
- Maps of world cities
Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection - World City Maps
- National Center for Education Statistics
- NCES is the primary federal entity collecting and analyzing education-related data for the United States and other nations.Data Tools
- National Center for Health Statistics
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Government Info Resources
Government Information Resources for Locating Reports and Publications
International and Foreign
United Nations Research Guides http://research.un.org/en
Excellent starting point for all international questions. Includes the UN Library catalog and subject guides.
Provides access to information published by the European Union and its institutions: European Parliament, Council of the EU, European Commission, Court of Justice, Court of Auditors, Economic and Social Committee, Committee of the Regions, European Central Bank, European Investment Bank, Agencies and other Bodies. Also available in the official languages of EU member nations.
OECD iLibrary http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/4539693
OECD iLibrary contains all the publications and datasets released by OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development), International Energy Agency (IEA), Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA), OECD Development Centre, PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment), and International Transport Forum (ITF) since 1998 some 390 complete databases, 2.500 working papers, 5.500 books, 14.000 tables and graphs, 21.000 chapters and articles.
World Bank eLibrary http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/5511857
Access full text World Bank reports, books, journals, working papers.
Authoritative guides for International, Comparative and Foreign Legislative and Legal research.
List of Foreign Governments http://libguides.northwestern.edu/content.php?pid=236155&sid=1953042
Created by Northwestern University Library, this guide provides links to the official websites of national governments.
Intergovernmental organization search engine http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9707561
The IGO Search searches across hundreds of IGO websites, enabling users to research topics such as active IGOs working on HIV/AIDS in Uganda.
Non-governmental organizations search engine http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9707573
Search of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) websites. Sites were chosen based on their consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and also collated from University of Minnesota Human Rights Library, Duke University Libraries' NGO Research Guide, and the World Association of Non-Governmental Organizations (WANGO).
Reference Center and General Government http://www.usa.gov/Topics/Reference-Shelf.shtml
GPO Federal Digital System http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/
Catalog of Government Publications http://catalog.gpo.gov/F
State and Local
State Government http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/State-and-Territories.shtml
Links to 50 state and territorial government websites; includes a contact directory, state courts, governors and legislators.
Local Governments and Elected Officials http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/Local.shtml
Tribal Governments http://www.usa.gov/Government/Tribal-Sites/index.shtml
State Capitol http://searchworks.stanford.edu/catalog/4793251
Provides access to bills, laws, constitutions, proposed and enacted regulations, legislature membership and newspapers of record for all the states.
Index to Current Urban Documents (ICUD) http://searchworks.stanford.edu/catalog/5609551
ICUD contains over 27,000 reports generated by local government agencies, civic organizations, academic and research organizations, public libraries, and metropolitan and regional planning agencies from more than 500 major cities in the United States and Canada. The core of the collection are fiscal (budgets and financial reports) and architecture & planning documents (city, county and regional plans). The Index also provides information for all urban-related issues, from hazardous waste disposal to arts in the community.
State agency databases http://searchworks.stanford.edu/catalog/9440280
A 50 state compilation of databases that are resource are publicly available and produced by a government entity.
California NGO Search Engine http://searchworks.stanford.edu/catalog/9628186
A compilation of Web sites from non-profits, community based organizations (CBOs), policy institutes, research centers, and think tanks conducting and publishing research on issues of concern to the state of California.
National Conference of State Legislators Research http://www.ncsl.org/research.aspx
Provides resources, research and links to 50 states policy issues.
Policy Archive http://www.policyarchive.org/
A digital library of public policy research, includes federal and state level organizations and some government agencies reports.
National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9684157
Session Laws Library http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/6914319
State Attorney General Reports and Opinions http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9684118
Select Journal Titles For Urban Studies Research
American journal of sociology
American sociological review
Annual review of sociology
Ecology and Society
Human rights & globalization law review
Journal of international marketing
Journal of marketing research
Journal of marketing; a journal for the advancement of science in marketing
Journal of planning literature
Journal of public policy & marketing
Migration; a quarterly review.
Mobilization : the international quarterly review of research in social movements, protest, and contentious politics
Population Studies : quarterly journal of demography
Sociology of education
Access World News
Access World News from NewsBank provides full-text information and perspectives from over 600 U.S. and over 700 international sources, each with its own distinctive focus offering diverse viewpoints on local, regional and world issues. Date coverage varies with individual newspaper.
News aggregator of African News sources. allAfrica.com is produced by AllAfrica Global Media. AllAfrica Global Media is a multi-media content service provider, systems technology developer and the largest electronic distributor of African news and information worldwide.
AP Images Images from the Associate Press
Provides worldwide full text coverage of local and regional newspapers, trade publications, business newswires, press release wires, media transcripts, news photos, business-rich Web sites, investment analyst reports, market research reports, country and regional profiles, company profiles, historical market data.
Lexis Nexis academic
Provides access to various databases, including current news, business information, company directories, federal and state laws, regulations, legal cases, medical and references.
GIS & Data Notes-WQ 2014
Notes from Data and GIS session - Winter Q 2014
These are the notes from the Data and GIS session with Judy Marsh and Patricia Carbajales for Prof. Kahan's class Winter Quarter 2014. (Contact info listed under "subject librarians" )
GIS RESOURCES: (Patricia Carbajales, Geospatial Manager, SUL)
GIS for Urban Studies Web Page https://sites.google.com/a/stanford.edu/sgc-2014/gis-resources-for-urban...
Short url: bit.ly/gisurb
DATA RESOURCES BY TOPIC: (Judy Marsh, Data Services Librarian, SSDS, SUL)
SEE ALSO "Data archives & Statistcs" tab in this guide for access points to these and other data resources.
Education: Alternative Schooling and Impacts on Students
*National Dropout Prevention Center/Network:
(Alternative Schooling - Overview and resources)
*National Center for Education Statistics
1) Alternative Schools and Programs for Public School Students At Risk of Educational Failure: 2007-08
2) NCES search results page using "alternative education"
*ICPSR: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research
Washington State Achievers Longitudinal Surveys, 2000-2007 (ICPSR 34374) http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/studies/34374?geography=Uni...
*U.S. Department of Education (research and resource pages provide other leads)
*Center for Disease Control (CDC)
Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance -- National Alternative High School Youth Risk Behavior Survey, United States, 1998 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss4807a1.htm
*Stanford Libraries Online Catalog, Searchworks:
1) Multiple Resources (customize your search by filtering by date, region, organization, format, etc., as you see fit)
*U.S. Census Bureau
Home schooling in the United States [electronic resource] : trends and characteristics / by Kurt J. Bauman
(Also in SearchWorks: http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/8422465)
Education: College Rates by Race in Rural America
*National Center for Education Statistics
Status of Education in Rural America
Status and Trends in the Education of Racial and Ethnic Groups
Journal of Higher Education: * Vol. 71, No. 2, Mar. - Apr., 2. Differences in the Decision to Attend College among African Americans, Hispanics, and Whites. Laura Walter Perna
*Public Policy Institute of California (PPIC)
Data Set: Maps of College Enrollment Rates in Californiaís Counties
*National Bureau of Economic Research
Who Goes to College? Differential Enrollment by Race and Family Background
*National Student Clearinghouse Research Center
Happiness & Urban Environment
*ICPSR (Inter-university for Social and Political Research)
Assessing Happiness and Competitiveness of World Major Metropolises, 2006 (ICPSR 27901)
Neighborhood Revitalization and Disorder in Salt Lake City, Utah, 1993-2000 (ICPSR 3261)
http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/5826196 ... Happy : cities and public happiness in post-war Europe / Cor Wagenaar (ed.). 2004
http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/541439 Urban Renewal (may be of use for historical perspective)
(For what it ís worth: Book by Charles Montgomery: Happy City: Transforming our Lives Through Urban Design)
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/78/4/764.pdf (found bia XSearch)
-May be useful to note studies that look at other variables, such as income
-I performed a search using Xsearch with keywords: ìhappiness city designî and found some interesting leadsÖ
INSEE: National Institute of Statistics & Economic Studies
California: Legislation and Gridlock
XSearch keywords: ìCalifornia Policy Gridlockî <xsearch.stanford.edu>
ICPSR Study: 2002 Legislative Survey
Look at the recent publications at the bottom of this page.
Australia: Street Performance
Australian Bureau of Statistics
HWY 101 & East Palo Alto
Look at Census Data for statistical profiles. Example: Quick Facts Site (East Palo Alto): http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/06/0620956.html
Look at the EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) for this project.
You may want to look at other cities that have been affected in similar ways; e.g., city of Pacifica, California. t\This city was divided by widening Highway 1.
SearchWorks page of resources
A study of the social, economic, and environmental impact of highway transportation facilities on urban communities. / Highway Research Section, Engineering Research Division, Washington State University ; prepared for Washington State Department of Highways in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration ... [et al.].
Highway and urban environment [electronic resource] : proceedings of the 8th highway and urban environment symposium / edited by Gregory M. Morrison and SÈbastien Rauch.
IMPACT OF HIGHWAYS ON URBAN NEIGHBORHOODS: A MODEL OF SOCIAL CHANGE
International Journal of Urban and Regional Research: Social Justice, Postmodernism and the City (David Harvey)
Look at Census data to get a profile of east and west palo alto residents.
Look at Census data (see Judy or Kris with your questions) to get at a statistical profile.
I think you will find information via Journal Articles (e.g., Psychology, Sociology)
Begin with Ebscohost - Academic search premier: http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/5749286