Lane Reading Room
The Lane Reading Room houses the Humanities and Area Studies Resource Center. Traditional study and reading space is complemented by wireless Internet access and computer workstations. The room offers printed reference collections and specific "mini-collections" devoted to important topical areas, including collections of new fiction and new books in the scholarly fields of the humanities. Reference materials aiding in the use of Special Collections can also be found here. The Lane Reading Room is located directly above the Social Sciences Resource Center. The two areas are directly connected by an internal staircase, enabling faculty and students to easily move between these areas and the services they provide.
The room was named in honor of Melvin B. Lane, AB 1944, and his wife, Joan F. Lane, in recognition of their generosity in supporting the reconstruction of the library after the Loma Prieta earthquake. The Lane Room, formerly called the Field Room, is part of what was originally called "The Main Library," constructed between 1916 and 1919.