Stanford Auxiliary Library 3 (SAL3)
SAL3 is a high density cold storage preservation facility in Livermore, CA that holds overflow collections from Stanford Libraries. SAL3 is a storage-only location; materials held at SAL3 may be paged for campus delivery through SearchWorks. SAL3 has a small reading room open to members of the Stanford community by appointment. Please contact the appropriate Subject Librarian to arrange on-site use of the collections.
The SAL3 truck makes morning deliveries to the Stanford University campus Monday through Friday, except on holidays. A second delivery of general circulating materials is made to Green Library on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons. For quickest delivery of SAL3 materials, choose Green Library as your pickup location.
- Delivery to Green: Requests submitted before noon, Monday through Friday, are usually available after 10 am the next business day.
- Delivery to all other participating libraries: Requests submitted before noon, Monday through Friday, will usually be available after 4 pm the next business day.
In February 2013 we finished construction to double our storage capacity! Here's a look at some of the current numbers:
- 3,352,200 items shelved (as of August 2014) of 4.8 million volume equivalent capacity
- Materials stored include: books, manuscript and record storage boxes; magnetic and other media; flat and rolled materials
- 67,049 square foot building
- 5,81 acre site
- 6 shelving bays at 7,850 square feet each
- 1 cold room, 460 square feet
- 33,024 shelves, each 53 in. wide x 36 in. deep
- 1,992 shelves 24" wide,x 35.5" deep
- 2,160 flat file drawers
- Temperature: 50 degrees F (+/- 1 degree)
- Relative humidity: 38%
Architect and contractor
- Devcon Construction, Inc., Milpitas, CA
For questions about SAL3, contact Rebecca Pernell, Head of Access Services.