SAL3 is a high-density cold storage preservation facility in Livermore, CA that holding overflow collections from across Stanford Libraries. SAL3 is a storage-only location; materials held at SAL3 may be requested for campus delivery through SearchWorks. SAL3 has a small reading room open to members of the Stanford community by appointment for use of general circuating collections only. Please contact the appropriate Subject Librarian to arrange on-site use of these collections.
The SAL3 truck makes morning deliveries to the Stanford University campus Monday through Friday, except on holidays. A second delivery of general circulating materials is made to Green Library on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons. For quickest delivery of SAL3 materials, choose Green Library as your pickup location when you place your request in SearchWorks.
- Delivery to Green: Requests submitted before noon, Monday through Friday, are usually available after 10 am the next business day.
- Delivery to all other participating libraries: Requests submitted before noon, Monday through Friday, will usually be available after 4 pm the next business day.
In February 2013 we finished construction to double our storage capacity! Here's a look at some of the current numbers:
- 3,551,421 items shelved (as of February 2015) of 4.8 million volume equivalent capacity
- Materials stored include: books, manuscript and record storage boxes; magnetic and other media; flat and rolled materials
- 67,049 square foot building
- 5,81 acre site
- 6 shelving bays at 7,850 square feet each
- 1 cold room, 460 square feet
- 33,024 shelves, each 53 in. wide x 36 in. deep
- 1,992 shelves 24" wide,x 35.5" deep
- 2,160 flat file drawers
- Temperature: 50 degrees F (+/- 1 degree)
- Relative humidity: 38%
Architect and contractor
- Devcon Construction, Inc., Milpitas, CA
For questions about SAL3, contact Rebecca Pernell, Head of Access Services.