Andrew's role in the library
My responsibility for external relations can be defined here as interaction with alumni, donors, the press, grantmakers, and the general public, i.e., the world at large. Thus, such areas as stewardship, proposal development, grant management, public events, fundraising, press liaison, and news dissemination are all areas of concern to my team. To discharge this range, I am charged with the unattainable task of understanding the efforts of the hundreds of dedicated and highly qualified colleagues and sharing their accomplishments with readers and friends, as well as with helping find support for their efforts.
As the Libraries' liaison with the campus Emergency Management effort, I am also responsible for disaster planning and emergency training for the Libraries staff.
As editor of ReMix: The Stanford University Libraries Newsletter, I have the pleasure of writing short pieces every month. I encourage the curious to acquaint themselves with (and maybe subscribe to) this rolling account of the projects, collections, services and events associated with the Libraries. Back issues may be found here.
- Andrew Herkovic, “The New Alexandrian Library,” Electrum Magazine, December 15, 2010. http://www.electrummagazine.com/2010/12/the-new-alexandrian-library/
- Andrew C. Herkovic, “Back to the Future: A Visit to the New Library at Alexandria,” Imprint, vol. 25, no. 1 (Winter 2007), pp.5-15.
- Haekyung Jeon-Slaughter; Andrew C. Herkovic; and Michael A. Keller, “Economics of scientific and biomedical journals: Where do scholars stand in the debate of online journal pricing and site license ownership between libraries and publishers?” First Monday, vol. 10, no. 3 (March 2005). http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue10_3/jeon/index.html
- Andrew Herkovic, “Proposals, grants, projects and careers: a strategic view for libraries,” Library Management. Vol. 25, Iss. 8/9 (2004). pg. 376.
- Michael A. Keller, Victoria A. Reich, and Andrew C. Herkovic, “What is a Library Anymore, Anyway?” First Monday (Vol. 8, No. 5) 5 May 2003, http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_5/index.html
- Michael A. Keller and Andrew C. Herkovic, “The HighWire Press: A Study in Service to Scholarly Communication,” Medizin Bibliothek Information, vol 2, nr. 3 (September 2002), pp.10-13. (Pub: Wien, Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Medizinisches Bibliothekswesen,. ISSN 11616-9026) http://www.agmb.de/mbi/2002_3/kellerm.pdf
- “Stanford University Libraries” in International Dictionary of Library Histories. Chicago, Ill. : Fitzroy Dearborn, 2001.
- Managing editor, Who Needs a Library Anyway? by Gerhard Casper. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Libraries, 2000.
- Stephen Boyd and Andrew Herkovic, “Crisis in Scholarly Publishing: Executive Summary” (May 1999) http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/schol_pub_crisis.html
- Managing editor, Sunset Magazine: A Century of Western Living. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Libraries, 1998.