Nancy's role in the library
I am the primary cataloger of music materials, except serials, in SUL. My speciality is rare music materials--early scores & historical sound recordings--and lately, assisting in the development of music metadata schema. I also supervise the copy cataloging of music materials and the acquisition of scores and sound recordings for the Music Library, carried out by my able assistants Keith and Mie.
- SACO Music Coordinator (2012-present)
- Rare Books & Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association for College & Research Libraries (ACRL) Task Force on RDA (2012-present)
- Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC). Preliminary development of music-specific additions to the RDA bibliographic standard record
- PCC. Standards Committee on Training. RDA Records Task Group (2011-2012)
- Music Library Association (MLA). RDA Music Implementation Task Force (2011-present)
- MLA, Subject Access Subcommitee. Member (2009-present)
- MLA, Board. Member at Large (2008-2010)
- MLA, Bibliographic Control Committee. Chair (2004-2008)
- MLA, Northern California Chapter. Chair (1999-2000; 2010-2011)
- Various other committees, subcommittees, task forces & working groups in ALA, MLA, MOUG & OLAC
"Unlocking Historical Audio Collections: Collaborative Cataloging and Batch Searching of 78 rpm Recordings." Technical Services Quarterly 29 (2012), p. 1-12.
More about Nancy
In my student years, I played bassoon and recorder semi-professionally, though I specialized in music history, particulary medieval and contemporary music. My master's paper analyzed the Sequenzas of Luciano Berio, and my doctoral work centered on the music and liturgy at Rouen Cathedral in the 13th and 14th centuries. Moving on to library school, I specialized in music cataloging, particularly of rare materials. More recently, I have become deeply involved in the implementation of RDA.