Benefits to depositing in the Stanford Digital Repository include:
- Confidence that digital content is safely and redundantly stored now and into the future, regardless of inevitable changes in storage systems.
- Reliable access to digital content from persistent, unchanging web links (PURLs), so that citations and references to deposited content do not break.
- Control when deposited content is made public through the use of an optional embargo, deferring public access for a specific period (typically no more than three years) while the content is protected from loss or data corruption in the SDR.
- Broad visibility of content through a rich information discovery environment that leverages SearchWorks, the library catalog, and the latest advances in search, browse, and data-linking technologies.
- Support for intellectual property rights and licences by displaying attribution statements and applicable license information.
- Delivery of content via a suite of integrated web applications for resources of all types and formats.
- Digital preservation expertise covering the full lifecycle of digital content preservation, including: content capture and encoding; metadata specifications; and file format migration.