California Map Society
The California Map Society (CMS) is a founding friend of the David Rumsey Map Center. As partners, the Society will underwrite and facilitate the jurying and awarding of a Student Paper Award. In addition, the Map Center hosts one of their bi-annual meetings every other year; we hosted the first one in June 2016. In addition, under partnership and sponsorship of the Society, we will be hosting an annual lecture at the Center. This academic year, the speaker event is scheduled to April 5, 2017 at Stanford; April 6th and 7th would in San Diego and Los Angeles.
- The student will receive $1,000. We will either pay for, or reimburse travel costs to the northern and southern speaker events.
- One year membership in the California Map Society.
- Presentation at the northern and southern chapters of the California Map Society.
- Publication of the paper and associated maps at exhibits.stanford.edu, under the sponsorship of the Map Center.
Who is Eligible
The competition is open to any graduate student (masters, PhD) currently enrolled in a California educational institute that awards advanced degrees.
Submission Deadline: 9 AM PST on January 15, 2018
Requirements for the Paper
Papers are to be submitted on any topic, but must include maps not simply as locational guides, but as an integral part of the research. The researcher must include a map or maps from the David Rumsey Map Center and/or Stanford University Libraries, which may be accessed in person on the Stanford University campus or digitally through the following access points, including:
- David Rumsey Map Collection
- Stanford University Libraries catalog, SearchWorks
- David Rumsey Map Collection at Stanford University
- Other map collections including Maps of Africa, Glen McLaughin Collection of Maps of California as an Island, The Renaissance Exploration Map Collection and the Warren Heckrotte Map Collection.
- The paper must be in English and should be no longer than 5,000 words, not including the references and bibliography.
- Papers cannot have been previously published in any publication. We will accept papers written for a class assignment or as part of a research symposia.
- The paper must be submitted in either MS-Word or via a PDF.
Judging and Notification
Papers will be judged on the quality of the research, the writing, and the effective use of maps in the presentation. The judges have been chosen from leading academics and collectors in the field of cartography. Each judge will independently read the papers and then confer and agree upon the winner. The winner will be notified the week of February 19, 2018.
Award and Paper Presentation
The award will be presented to the winner at Stanford University’s David Rumsey Map Center and at one or two locations to be chosen in southern California. The dates for this year is as follows: Rumsey Map Center, Stanford: April 4, 2018, La Jolla Map and Atlas Museum, La Jolla, April 5, 2018 and University of California at Los Angeles, April 6, 2018 (Southern locations may be switched, watch for more information as we get closer) .
Contact Information: Any questions should be addressed via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.