Special Collections & University Archives
Preparing materials for transfer
- Contact the University Archives to receive assistance in planning for the appraisal and transfer of records.
- Appraise the records. Use our guidelines to determine which records are of interest to University Archives. Please contact us if you have any questions to ensure that the appraisal is complete and accurate.
- Obtain archival boxes. The Archives provides acid-free archival boxes for most types of physical records. In addition to standard archival boxes, we also offer containers for maps, architectural drawings, photographic media, posters, objects, films, audio and video recordings, and many other items.
- Neatly pack the boxes. Files and folders should be packed in the order in which they were kept in the office. A correctly packed box will have enough space to remove and replace a file folder easily, but not so much space that the folders fall or bend.
Be sure to replace hanging file folders with regular file folders as hanging folders tend to damage and weaken boxes.
- Label the boxes. Label (in pencil) each box with its appropriate number and your office or department name.
- Download and save a copy of our inventory template (.xlsx format).
- List the contents of each box, folder by folder, on the inventory. Save the completed inventory. Diskettes, CD-ROMS and other electronic storage media should be specifically noted on the inventory.
- Email the inventory to the University Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org. Archives staff will review the inventory.
- Coordinate transfer of the records. Email us to arrange for pickup. Upon the transfer of custody of the records to the University Archives, the University Archivist sends a letter of acknowledgement documenting the transfer of the records to the Archives. This letter includes the call numbers needed to retrieve files from storage, and states any restrictions on access that may apply. It also formally completes the accession transaction.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.