Classes and exhibits
The University Archives welcomes Stanford faculty and students to utilize our rich and diverse materials during classes. We also welcome opportunities to describe our collections through bibliographic instruction classes and presentations. To arrange use of Archives materials for your course or schedule an introductory class in our classroom (the Barchas Seminar Room), please email us at email@example.com. Classes are scheduled Monday through Friday, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Due to the classroom's size, we can only accommodate classes with no more than 30 students. Larger classes will be divided and separate sessions scheduled. Since there is a great demand to the use the Barchas Room, instructors are encouraged to contact us well in advance. We recommend 4-6 weeks lead time. For more information, please visit the Special Collections Class Visits page.
The University Archives is pleased to partner with Stanford departments, student organizations, and other affiliated groups to present exhibits of historical material from our holdings.
Services provided by the University Archives include:
- Orientation to the Archives for representatives of organizations; instruction on locating and identifying materials for exhibit from the archives.
- Developing captions with appropriate contextual information for exhibit items
- Publicizing the exhibit via our blog, Twitter account, and/or Facebook page, as appropriate.
- Installation and deinstallation of exhibit. Supervision of exhibit when materials are not installed in secure cases.
- Upon request, presentations to groups about the exhibit topic.
Responsibilities of partner departments, groups, and organizations:
- Contact University Archives staff well in advance to begin planning for your exhibit/event. We recommend 4-6 weeks lead time.
- Collaborate with Archives staff to define exhibit themes, identify relevant holdings, and select items for exhibit.
- Publicize the exhibit / event to ensure interest among the campus community.
The Archives utilizes exhibit spaces and cases in Green Library, including the Barchas Seminar Room and the Bender Room. We also partner will the Frances C. Arrillaga Alumni Center and other campus groups to mount exhibits onsite.
Security of exhibit items
If original materials are to be left in display cases unattended, cases must lock and must be approved by University Archives staff in advance. Archives staff reserve the right to refuse to display original materials when the exhibit cases provided will expose materials to harmful levels of light and UV rays.