Swain Chemistry & Chemical Engineering Library
24-hour access to Swain Library
Twenty-four hour access is an individual privilege granted to users who have a demonstrated need for around-the-clock access to Swain Library’s collection in order to support their research needs. This privilege cannot be shared, transferred, or used to let others into the library. These user groups are eligible for 24-hour access:
- All Stanford University faculty are eligible.
- All graduate students and postdocs in the Departments of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering.
- Graduate students and postdocs from other Stanford departments who have a letter of support from their faculty advisor. Faculty should send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Undergraduate students in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering who are doing lab research and require 24-hour access to Swain Library’s collections. Faculty in charge of that lab group must send a letter of support quarterly to email@example.com.
- Selected research, academic, and administrative staff may be eligible for 24-hour access to Swain Library. Please contact the Swain Librarian.
Policies and procedures
Users who have 24-hour access to Swain Library must abide by these rules or risk losing after-hours access.
- Attending an orientation tour:
- Orientation tour required before 24-hour access is activated.
- Tours are by appointment only.
- You must present an active Stanford ID, have an @stanford.edu email address in the library's circulation system, and complete an agreement form.
- Entering Swain Library when it is closed:
- At closing, all users must exit the library and reenter using their Stanford ID card.
- Access is an individual privilege and cannot be shared with others.
- All users must be prepared to show their Stanford ID card.
- Using Swain Library when it is closed:
- Charge out library materials before taking them from the library.
- The reserve collection is not available when the library is closed.
- No eating or drinking in the library (bottled water is okay).
- Staff areas are off-limits.
- Leaving Swain Library:
- Please make sure that the library door is closed and locked.
- The door should not be propped open for any reason.
- If you are the last one leaving the library, please close all windows and turn off all lights.
- Losing after-hours access:
- If a user is not currently registered.
- If library borrowing privileges are blocked (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If there is misuse by loaning an ID card to others or letting others into the library.
- If a user is eating or drinking in the library (bottled water is okay).
- Reporting problems:
- If the door does not open as expected, please call 650-723-2281.
- Please report any suspicious or unsafe behavior to the Stanford police, call (9-911).