Swain Chemistry & Chemical Engineering Library
iPads at Swain Library
The Swain Library iPad Program includes four iPad2s that are loaded with a number of apps relevant to chemists and chemical engineers. We hope that users at all stages of their careers will find these iPads useful. The iPad2s have 32 GB of storage space and WiFi, and also come with a power cable for charging and a padded case.
If there is a key resource that you think should be added, please let us know. While a couple of online books are loaded on the iPads, we anticipate that users will launch ebook reading apps that can be used with content licensed by the library or with ebooks that are freely available on the internet.
Browse descriptions of installed apps in the Mobile apps for chemists & chemical engineers topic guide. Some of the apps loaded include:
All four iPads circulate for two weeks, and may be renewed once (if no other user has placed a hold). The SearchWorks record for Swain Library’s iPad2s includes circulation status (e.g. available or checked out). See instructions for connecting from off campus with iPhone and iPad.
After using an iPad, please fill out a short online survey to provide feedback about this Program. Thank you!
Guidelines and restrictions
- Eligible users: Swain Library’s iPad2s can only be checked out by current students, post-docs, and faculty at Stanford. Users from the Chemistry and Chemical Engineering Departments have priority over other users because Swain Library’s iPads have many chemistry and chemical engineering apps loaded on them.
- Loan periods: All four iPads circulate for two weeks, and may be renewed once (if no other user has placed a hold to use an iPad). The iPads are due by 5 pm on the due date.
- No holds, recalls, or reservations: iPad2s cannot be reserved in advance. They are all first-come, first-served. So that iPads are available to as many users as possible, we want users to wait a month after they have borrowed an iPad before checking one out again.
- Fines and fees: Stiff fines are charged for overdue iPads: the borrower will be charged the replacement cost of an iPad plus an administrative processing fee.
- Return procedure: Swain Library’s iPad2s must be returned directly to a staff member at Swain Library’s circulation desk. Do not return them to another library or put them in a library drop box.
- Personal data and information: will be erased when the iPad is returned. Any apps or content purchased by an individual will also be erased.