Access and privileges
Privileges for all students
- All Stanford students may check out as many books as they would like
- Media & Microtext items may be checked out for seven days, with no online renewals
- Interlibrary Borrowing (online delivery of articles and books from other university libraries)
- Locker in Green Library
- Spouses and domestic partners are eligible for a Courtesy Card
- To copy/print in the libraries, enroll in the StanfordCardPlan or go to printingcredit.stanford.edu to add funds to your University ID Card using a credit/debit card.
Privileges that differ based on student type
- Direct remote borrowing from UC Berkeley (RLCP) and onsite borrowing at UC Berkeley and other institutions (RSP, ShaRes) is only available for graduate students
- Dissertation carrels in Green Library are only available for PhD students advanced to candidacy. Study carrels in Green Library's Bing Wing are only available to graduate students.
New to Stanford?
- Students receive ID Cards, issued by the Campus ID Card Office, that can be used for library access and borrowing; activated SUNet IDs permit access to online library resources.
- Campus ID Card privileges & SUNet ID activation for new students occurs at the end of July for graduate students and at the end of August for undergrads.
- Set up your browser for access to Stanford-restricted online library resources from off-campus locations.
- Consider enrolling in the StanfordCardPlan to use your Campus Card as a debit card for select campus purchases and library printing/copying. These charges will appear on your University bill.
Graduating student checklist
- Return library materials.
- Pay all outstanding fines and fees.
- Empty your library locker.
- Empty your dissertation carrel (graduate students). If your carrel was in Green Library, please return your key at the Circulation & Privileges desk.
- Your student ID card is deactivated after graduation and is no longer valid for library privileges (even if you remain on campus during the summer.) Off-campus access to online resources is also deactivated.
- Your SUNet ID is valid for 120 days after graduation to give you time to move files, email, etc.
- Campus ID Card holders
- Privileges for university & library affiliates
- Visitor access and borrowing
- Lockers and assigned study spaces
- Proxy borrowing
- Cards for access & borrowing
- Borrower responsibilities
- Libraries with special policies
- Lost your card?
- Suspended privileges