Access policies described here apply to the Stanford University Libraries. Coordinate libraries (e.g., Business, Law, Hoover, Medical) and department libraries (Classics, Philosophy) may have separate access requirements and borrowing policies; consult them directly for information about using their facilities and resources.
Library cooperative programs
Research Library Cooperative Program (RLCP)
- RLCP is an agreement between SUL and UC Berkeley. See RLCP description and eligibility
- UC Berkeley visitors to Stanford must show a government-issued ID card and a UC ID card for entry to some libraries, and to borrow materials. Eligible users have records in our database.
- Eligible Stanford visitors to UC Berkeley must present their Stanford ID Card for access and borrowing.
Reciprocal Services Program (RSP)
- RSP involves reciprocal borrowing privileges between Stanford and the University of California campuses. For more information, see RSP description and instructions to obtain a RSP Card).
- RSP visitors to Stanford, who are not covered by the RLCP program (above), must present government-issued ID, a valid UC ID Card, and a RSP Card for entry to some libraries, and to borrow materials.
- Stanford visitors to cooperative member sites must obtain a RSP Card from Green Library.
Borrow Direct and Borrow Direct Plus
- Borrow Direct is a resource sharing partnership of 13 Ivies Plus academic institutions. Borrow Direct Plus is the on-site recipricol access and borrowing program for active users. Stanford users are issued access/borrowing cards when visiting these participating schools. Eligible users from Ivies+ institutions may also apply for SUL access/borrowing cards.
- For Ivies+ visitors to Stanford:
- Eligibility: Students, Faculty and Staff at participating schools. Apply for a SUL card at the Privileges Desk at Green Library. Present a current government-issued ID, a valid Ivies+ institution ID (your home univ ID card), and demonstrate active Borrow Direct account with home institution to be issued borrowing privileges. Card costs $10, expires annually; replacement cards are $25 and re-activation of expired cards is free.
- Loan periods vary according to library and item type. Generally, books circulate from Green Library for 28 days. 25 item limit applies, no lending of course reserves or equipment. No lendingcourse reserves and some on-site-only us
- On-site access/borrowing limitations: SUL Card will not be accepted at Crown Law Library, Lane Medical Library, Lathrop Library, Graduate School of Business Library, Hopkins Marine Station, nor the Classics Library.
- Ivies + patrons are each responsible for fines and fees.