You are here
BorrowDirect & access to Ivy Plus libraries
BorrowDirect is a resource sharing partnership of 13 Ivy Plus libraries, offering both interlibrary borrowing services (books mailed to Stanford) and on-site access and borrowing privileges at each partner library.
The partner libraries include: Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, Univ. of Chicago, Univ. of Pennsylvania, and Yale.
Borrow books remotely
Request materials through Interlibrary Borrowing. Items will arrive at Stanford within 3 to 5 business days. Coming in Spring 2019, users will be able to search the combined catalog for all 13 libraries and request materials directly.
You will receive an email notice that books are ready for pickup at Stanford, and you will have one week to collect them. Use your Stanford My Account to view and renew these books. All BorrowDirect books have an 8-week loan period and can be renewed one time for an additional 8 weeks. If you need longer access, you must request another copy.
Visit partner libraries in person
Current Stanford faculty, students, and staff are eligible for on-site access and borrowing at BorrowDirect partner libraries. Please read important registration requirements and circulation rules for each participating institution before you visit. For example, you may be required to log into your Stanford My Account to demonstrate your active Stanford affiliation. You may also be required to present your University ID Card and/or a valid government-issued ID card.
Special note to Ivy Plus visitors who come to Stanford
- Students, faculty, and staff at participating Ivy Plus BorrowDirect institutions may apply for a SUL Card at the Privileges Desk at Green Library. You must present a current government-issued ID, your home university ID card, and be able to successfully log into your BorrowDirect account.
- SUL Cards cost $10 and expire annually; re-activation of expired cards is free. Replacement fee for lost cards is $25.
- SUL Cards are not accepted at the following Stanford libraries: Crown Law Library, Lane Medical Library, Lathrop Library, Graduate School of Business Library, Hopkins Marine Station's Miller Library, the Classics Library.
- Loan periods vary. Generally, books circulate from Green Library for 28 days. A 25-item limit applies. Some items only circulate to Stanford patrons (e.g., course reserves, equipment, some media items). Other lending restrictions may apply depending on library and material type. Items may be recalled from you resulting in a shorter loan period.
- Ivy Plus BorrowDirect patrons are personally responsible for all fines and fees. Please use the My Account without SUNetID to renew books, manage holds/pages, and to pay fines.