What can I borrow?
You can get most published materials through Interlibrary Borrowing.
You cannot use Interlibrary Borrowing to request materials already owned by Stanford Libraries. This includes items that are:
- Checked out (instead, submit a recall request in the SearchWorks record for that item)
- Missing from the shelf (instead, request a missing item search at the Circulation Desk)
- Items from Stanford's Libraries for delivery to you when you are away from campus
Materials generally not available through Interlibrary Borrowing include:
- Entire issues of periodicals (due to copyright law)
- Reference materials
- Rare books
- Books published before 1800
Interlibrary Borrowing can help you obtain materials that are unavailable at Stanford, provided they support the teaching, learning, research, or other University-related work of Stanford faculty, students, staff, or visiting scholars. For personal items, please use your public library.