"Interlibrary lending" (ILL) pertains to materials that Stanford Libraries loans to other libraries and institutions. We cannot supply materials directly to individuals; a library must serve as an intermediary (except for UC Berkeley and UT Austin patrons through the RLCP program). To request an item, contact the interlibrary borrowing services of your local academic, public, company, or other library.
If you are a Stanford patron and wish to borrow from another library, see Interlibrary borrowing.
During winter closure, December 21, 2013-January 5, 2014, patrons may submit RLCP and ILB requests. Processing of requests submitted during the winter closure will begin on Monday, January 6, 2014.
Stanford patrons: Do not return materials loaned by non-Stanford libraries to campus bookdrops. Return materials to the Green Circulation Desk. Request a return receipt.
Loan policies, renewals, and returns
All loans are subject to copyright considerations and approval of the branch library. Most items are loaned for four weeks after they are received at the borrowing institution and can be renewed for up to two renewal periods. Some items are not renewable. Loans are subject to recall.
- To renew items checked out through Interlibrary Lending, contact the interlibrary services department at your institution who initially requested the item. They will submit the renewal request.
- If you have items borrowed from the SLAC Library, Lane Medical Library, Business Library, or Law Library, you will need to contact those Interlibrary Lending departments directly.
- Items checked out from Stanford through RLCP should be renewed by email to email@example.com. List each book by author, title, and barcode number. You will be notified of the new due dates.
- Interlibrary Borrowing units should follow these steps to renew items borrowed from Stanford:
- Log into your account.
- Select the transaction number for the item to renew.
- Select Renew Request at the top of the transaction screen.
Please allow at least five working days before the due date to ensure timely arrival at the lending institution. Be sure the material is clearly marked "Return to" and the name of the destination. You are responsible for materials until they have been returned to the library from which they were borrowed. Ask for a receipt when returning material.
- Return items checked out through Interlibrary Lending to the interlibrary services department at your institution who initially requested the item. They will return the items to Stanford.
- UC Berkeley users who checked out items through RLCP can return items via the Book Return chute in the Circulation Desk of Doe Library.
- UT Austin users who checked out items through RLCP must return RLCP items to the Interlibrary Service office at the Perry-Castañeda Library.
- Organizations returning items to Stanford should:
- pack the items for shipping; Jiffy bags are not acceptable.
- note that overnight shipping and insurance may be required for some items.
- return items to the address below.
Stanford University Libraries
Green Library, Room 161
One Crothers Way
Stanford, CA 94305-6004