History electronic books
ACLS Humanities E-Books - Humanities Open Book
A select number of academic books are free online.Topics include Bamana sculptors (from Mali), a 19th century pre-colonial Swahili society, rebellions against German officials, marriage and gender relations, independent women, music and Falasha history, etc. http://www.humanitiesebook.org/the-collection/humanities-open-book/
American Historical Association's Guide to Historical Literature
Third ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1995. Full text online but requires a library or individual subscription to ACLS Humanities E-Book (HEB). Vol. One, Section 19 "Sub-Saharan Africa" by Margaret Jean Hay and Joseph C. Miller, pp. 560-616. http://tinyurl.com/cpt4d4q
Find full text older books. In PDF and ePub formats. Maintained by the Internet Archive. http://www.archive.org/bookserver
- Bois, commandant (Alexis) - Se?ne?gal et Soudan : travaux publics et chemins de fer. 1886.
- Crowder, Michael - A Short History of Nigeria. 1962.
- Larymore, Constance Belcher, Mrs. - A resident's wife in Nigeria. 1908.
Campbell, James T. - Songs of Zion : the African Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States and South Africa
Oxford University Press, 1995. 418 pages. http://ets.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=acls;idno=heb00589.0001.001;aclsbr=1
Center for Research Libraries (Chicago)
The Center for Research Libraries, an institutional membership organization, is digitizing historical titles. The books are in two categories. Some have full text on-line free to all. Other titles are available only to members of CRL; some libraries are members. Search the online catalog and the section, E-Resources. http://catalog.crl.edu/search
Digital Book Index
Links to many free and subscription only full text books. Registration required to use the site. You will be send notices of books by publishers unless you opt out. http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_search/search010hstafricant.asp
France. Bibliotheque nationale. Voyages en Afrique
In French. "900 volumes de textes, 30 titres de revues, 80 cartes venant des collections imprimées de la BnF, 20 heures d'enregistrements sonores des fonds du Musée de la parole et du geste et 6500 photographies issues des fonds de la Société de géographie." Access documents by type (books, journals, maps, photographs), geographic area, era. Part of the French national library's Gallica site. http://gallica.bnf.fr/dossiers/html/dossiers/VoyagesEnAfrique/
- Maps of peoples and kingdoms, colonial history, physical map, antique maps, nautical maps
- Full text books, journal articles, maps illustrating themes: L'Europe découvre l'Afrique, L'Afrique des cultures, Histoire coloniale : la France en Afrique, L'Afrique vue depuis la France.
- Journal articles (Bulletins de la Société d'anthropologie de Paris; Bulletin de la Société de géographie de Paris; le Tour du Monde, 1860-1914; La Géographie; Bulletin de la Société de géographie commerciale de Bordeaux; Revue maritime et coloniale, Annales des voyages, de la géographie et de l'histoire: Nouvelles annales des voyages, de la géographie et de l'histoire. and many more.
- A Bibliography and a Chronology and Music from the 1930s and earlier (see L'Afrique vue depuis la France).
See also History of Africa.
Google Book Search
Includes thousands of full text public domain books online. Publications are out of copyright or have the permission of the publisher. Includes illustrations which can be saved in digital form and printed. http://books.google.com/
- The Anglo-African Who's who and Biographical Sketchbook, edited by Walter H. Wills, R. J. Barrett. Published 1905, G. Routledge & sons, limited.
- Great Britain. Parliamentary Debates. Fourth Series. Third Session of the 28th Parliament.......Vol. CXCI.....1908. 1,035 pages [covers June 25, 1908 to July 8, 2908]
- Ismailia, a narrative of the Expedition to Central Africa for the Suppression of the Slave Trade ... By Samuel White Baker. Published 1874 Macmillan and Co. Original from Stanford University Libraries. (675 pages, the page count includes 5 non-important pages such as an image of the Hoover Library bookplate)
- Travels in West Africa. By Mary Henrietta Kingsley, William Forsell Kirby. Published 1897, Macmillan. 743 pages
- West African Studies. By Mary Henrietta Kingsley. Published 1900, Macmillan. 507 pages
- Mission Work in Sierra Leone, West Africa. By Job Smith Mills. Published 1898, United Brethren Pub. House. 253 pages
- Letters from the Sudan. By Edward Frederick Knight. Published 1897, The Macmillan company. 325 pages
- Notes of Travel in South-western Africa. By Karl Johan Andersson, Charles John Andersson. Pub. 1875. 318 pages
- A Brief History of the Wesleyan Missions on the West Coast of Africa: including biographical... By William Fox. Published 1851, Aylott and Jones. 1248 pages
- Life and Letters of Samuel Norvell Lapsley: Missionary to the Congo Valley, West Africa, 1866-1892. By Samuel Norvell Lapsley. Published 1893 Whittet & Shepperson 242 pages
- Sunshine and Storm in Rhodesia: being a narrative of events in Matabeleland both before and... By Frederick Courteney Selous. Published 1896, R. Ward & co., limited. 290 pages
- Physical and Medical Climate and Meteorology of the West Coast of Africa: With Valuable Hints to... By James Africanus Beale Horton. Published 1867, Churchill. 321 pages
- The story of my mission in south-eastern Africa: comprising some account of the European... By William Shaw. Published 1860, Hamilton. 576 pages [South Africa, Botswana]
- Travels in the Interior of Africa By Mungo Park. Published 1860, A. and C. Black. 380 pages
- Narrative of the shipwreck of the Sophia, on the 30th of May, 1819, on the western coast of Africa, and of the captivity of a part of the crew in the desert of Sahara. By Charles Cochelet. Published 1822. Printed for Sir Richard Phillips and Co.
- The African Repository, and Colonial Journal. Vol. 9. By American Colonization Society. Published 1834, American Colonization Society [Washington]
- Travels in South Africa, Undertaken at the Request of the London Missionary Society ... a... By Rev John Campbell. Published 1822, London Missionary Society.
- Travels and Discoveries in North and Central Africa: Being a Journal of an Expedition Undertaken... By Heinrich Barth. Published 1896, Harper & Brothers.
- Report of the Wellcome tropical research laboratories at the Gordon memorial college, Khartoum.... By Sir Andrew Balfour, Wellcome Tropical Research Laboratories. Published 1908. Published for Dept. of education, Sudan government, by Bailliere, Tindall & Cox, London.
- With the West African Frontier Force, in Southern Nigeria. By Esmé Gordon Lennox. Published 1905. 74 pages
Membership access only. Many libraries are members. Full text for out of copyright books is online and can be downloaded. Can search by call number. For example DT History of Africa. [Stanford users try DT History of Africa.] http://www.hathitrust.org/
Hess, Andrew C. - The Forgotten frontier : a history of the sixteenth century Ibero-African frontier
University of Chicago Press, 1978. 278 pages. Concerns the history of North Africa and Spain.
Humanities E-Book Collection
Access by Subscription only; some universities subscribe. From the American Council of Learned Societies. Find books by Subject. Has links to on-line book reviews. Once you are within the book site, you can do keyword searches of the text. Some titles which are OP can be reprinted through Print-on-Demand. http://www.humanitiesebook.org/
Historians from the African Studies Association are selecting Africa-related titles. Selected titles are below:
- Afigbo, Adiele E. - Ropes of Sand: Studies in Igbo History and Culture (1981)
- Ajayi, J. F. Ade - Christian Missions in Nigeria, 1841-1891: The Making of a New Elite (1965)
- Barber, Karin - I Could Speak Until Tomorrow: Oriki, Women, and the Past in a Yoruba Town (1991)
- Barry, Boubacar - Senegambia and the Atlantic Slave Trade (1998)
- Bay, Edna G. - Wives of the Leopard: Gender, Politics, and Culture in the Kingdom of Dahomey (1998)
- Berman, Bruce J. and Lonsdale, John M. - Unhappy Valley: Conflict in Kenya and Africa. Book One: State and Class (1992)
- Berman, Bruce J. and Lonsdale, John M. - Unhappy Valley: Conflict in Kenya and Africa. Book Two: Violence and Ethnicity (1992)
- Berry, Sara - No Condition is Permanent: The Social Dynamics of Agrarian Change in Sub-Saharan Africa (1993)
- Brenner, Louis - Controlling Knowledge: Religion, Power and Schooling in a West African Muslim Society (2001)
- Campbell, James T. - Songs of Zion : the African Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States and South Africa.
- Cohen, David William - Womunafu's Bunafu: A Study of Authority in a Nineteenth-Century African Community (1977)
- Cooper, Frederick - Decolonization and African Society: The Labor Question in French and British Africa (1996)
- Curtin, Philip D. - Economic Change in Precolonial Africa: Senegambia in the Era of the Slave Trade (1975)
- Daaku, Kwame Yeboa - Trade and Politics on the Gold Coast, 1600-1720: A Study of the African Reaction to European Trade (1970) - includes a 1720 outline map of forest states, a 1729 coastal outline map
- Davidson, Basil - Let Freedom Come: Africa in Modern History (1978)
- Dike, Kenneth Onwuka - Trade and Politics in the Niger Delta, 1830-1885 (1956)
- Ehret, Christopher - The Civilizations of Africa: A History to 1800 (2002)
- Fabian, Johannes - Language and Colonial Power: The Appropriation of Swahili in the Former Belgian Congo, 1880-1938 (1986)
- Fairhead, James and Leach, Melissa - Misreading the African Landscape: Society and Ecology in a Forest-Savanna Mosaic (1996)
- Feierman, Steven - The Shambaa Kingdom: A History (1974)
- Feierman, Steven - Peasant Intellectuals: Anthropology and History in Tanzania (1990)
- Ford, John - The Role of the Trypanosomiases in African Ecology: A Study of the Tsetse Fly Problem (1971)
- Hamilton, Carolyn - Terrific Majesty: The Powers of Shaka Zulu and the Limits of Historical Intervention (1998)
- Harms, Robert W. - Games Against Nature: An Eco-Cultural History of the Nunu of Equatorial Africa (1987)
- Hassen, Mohammed - The Oromo of Ethiopia: A History, 1570-1860 (1990)
- Hodgkin, Thomas - Nationalism in Colonial Africa (1956)
- Hunwick, John O. - Sharia in Songhay: The Replies of al-Magh¯il¯i to the Questions of Askia al-òH¯ajj Muòhammad (1985)
- Iliffe, John - A Modern History of Tanganyika (1979)
- Iliffe, John - The African Poor: A History (1987)
- Inikori, Joseph E. - Africans and the Industrial Revolution in England: A Study in International Trade and Development (2002)
- Issawi, Charles Philip - An economic history of the Middle East and North Africa (1982)
- Jeater, Diana Marriage - Marriage, Perversion and Power: The Construction of Moral Discourse in Southern Rhodesia, 1894-1930 (1993)
- Kimambo, Isaria N. - A Political History of the Pare of Tanzania, c.1500-1900 (1969)
- Klein, Martin A. - Slavery and Colonial Rule in French West Africa (1998)
- Law, Robin - The Oyo Empire c.1600-c. 1836: A West African Imperialism in the Era of the Atlantic Slave Trade (1977)
- Law, Robin - The Slave Coast of West Africa, 1550-1750: The Impact of the Atlantic Slave Trade on an African Society (1991)
- Levtzion, Nehemia - Muslims and Chiefs in West Africa: A Study of Islam in the Middle Volta Basin in the Pre-Colonial Period (1968)
- Lyons, Maryinez - The Colonial Disease: A Social History of Sleeping Sickness in Northern Zaire, 1900-1940 (1992)
- Martin, Phyllis M.- Leisure and Society in Colonial Brazzaville (1995)
- Mandala, Elias C. Work and Control in a Peasant Economy: A History of the Lower Tchiri Valley in Malawi, 1859-1960 1990
- McCaskie, Thomas C. - Asante Identities: History and Modernity in an African Village, 1850-1950 (2000)
- Mudimbe, Valentin Y. - The Invention of Africa: Gnosis, Philosophy, and the Order of Knowledge (1988)
- Ogot, Bethwell A. - History of the Southern Luo Volume I: Migration and Settlement (1967)
- Peel, J. D. Y. - Religious Encounters and the Making of Yoruba (2003)
- Robertson, Claire C.- Sharing the Same Bowl: A Socio-Economic History of Women and Class in Accra, Ghana (1984)
- Shepperson, George and Price, Thomas - Independent African: John Chilembwe and the Origins, Setting and Significance of the Nyasaland Native Rising of 1915 (1958)
- Strobel, Margaret - Muslim Women in Mombasa, 1890-1975 (1979)
- Tamrat, Tadesse - Church and State in Ethiopia, 1270-1527 (1972)
- van Onselen, Charles - Chibaro: African Mine Labour in Southern Rhodesia, 1900-1933 (1980)
Lovejoy, Paul E. (ed.) - Africans in bondage: studies in slavery and the slave trade: essays in honor of Philip D. Curtin on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of African Studies at the University of Wisconsin (1986)
Full text. From the University of Wisconsin Libraries Africana Digitization Project. See the Copyright notice for use. http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Africana.Lovejoy
- Chapter 1: when did smallpox reach the New World (and why does it matter)?, Henige, David
- Chapter 2: the company trade and the numerical distribution of slaves to Spanish America, 1703-1739, Palmer, Colin A.
- Chapter 3: slave prices in the Portuguese southern Atlantic, 1600-1830, Miller, Joseph C.
- Chapter 6: Anast?cia and the slave women of Rio de Janeiro, Karasch, Mary
- Chapter 5: healing and race in the South Carolina low country, Shick, Tom W.
- Chapter 6: the slave trade in Niger Delta oral tradition and history, Alagoa, E. J.
- Chapter 7: the Atlantic slave trade and the Gabon Estuary: the Mpongwe to 1860, Bucher, Henry
- Chapter 8: Kru emigration to British and French Guiana, 1841-1857, Schuler, Monica
- Chapter 9: slave trade, "legitimate" trade, and imperialism revisited: the control of wealth in the Bights of Benin and Biafra, Manning, Patrick
- Chapter 10: problems of slave control in the Sokoto Caliphate, Lovejoy, Paul E.
- Chapter 11: ex-slaves, transfrontiersmen and the slave trade: the Chikunda of the Zambesi Valley, 1850-1900, Isaacman, Allen
- Chapter 12: slaves into soldiers: social origins of the Tirailleurs Senegalais, Echenberg, Myron
- Chapter 13: warlords and enslavement: a sampleof slave raiders from eastern Ubangi-Shari, 1870-1920, Cordell, Dennis D.
Mohammadou Aliou Tyam, m. 1911. - La vie d'El Hadj Omar, qacida en poular
Paris: Institut d'ethnologie, 1935. From the University of Michigan Library, Digital General Collection. http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=genpub;idno=AHD1116.0001.001
Free online books and journal articles. Mainly in French, some in English. Development, ethnography, health, culture, international relations, film, history. Maintained by le CNRS, l’EHESS et Aix-Marseille Université. Based in Marseille, France. [KF] https://www.openedition.org/
Societies After Slavery: A Select Annotated Bibliography of Printed Sources on Cuba, Brazil, British Colonial Africa, South Africa, and the British West Indies
Edited by Rebecca J. Scott, Thomas C. Holt, Frederick Cooper, and Aims McGuinness. Originally published as a print book - Pittsburgh, Pa.: University of Pittsburgh Press, c2002. Full text. Covers British Colonial Africa and South Africa. Each section has an essay and annotated entries. Compilers include Fred Cooper, Pamela Scully, etc. "the definitive resource for scholars and students engaged in research on postemancipation societies in the Americas and Africa." Part of the Univ. of Pittsburg Digital Library. http://www.upress.pitt.edu/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=35413
South African History Online - Online Books
Full text books. A very rich resource. Ex. - History of the Muslims in South Africa: A Chronology - By Ebrahim Mahomed Mahida. http://www.sahistory.org.za/pages/library-resources/library-search.htm
UNESCO General History of Africa
- Volume I - Methodology and African Prehistory
- Volume II - Ancient Civilizations of Africa
- Volume III - Africa from the Seventh to the Eleventh Century
- Volume IV - Africa from the Twelfth to the Sixteenth Century
- Volume V - Africa from the Sixteenth to the Eighteenth Century
- Volume VI - Africa in the Nineteenth Century until the 1880s
- Volume VII - Africa under Colonial Domination 1880-1935
- Volume VIII - Africa since 1935
University of California Press - eScholarship Editions
Many full text books online. Some titles open only to University of California users. Browse by subjects African History (over 20 titles) and African Studies (over 50 titles). http://content.cdlib.org/escholarship/
Titles open to all include:
African Successes: Four Public Managers of Kenyan Rural Development. Author: David K. Leonard Published: University of California Press, 1991.
AIDS: The Burdens of History. Author: Elizabeth Fee and Daniel M. Fox, editors Published: University of California Press, 1988
Beyond the Stream: Islam and Society in a West African Town. Author: Robert G. Launay. Published: University of California Press, 1992
Black Homelands of South Africa: The Political and Economic Development of Bophuthtswana and Kwa-Zulu. Author: Jeffrey Butler, Robert I. Rotberg, and John Adams. Published: University of California, 1978
Bureaucracy and Race: Native Administration in South Africa. Author: Ivan T. Evans. Published: University of California Press, 1997
University of Wisconsin Libraries. Africana Digitization Project
Full text of rare Africana, in English or translated into English. See the Copyright notice for use. http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/AfricanStudies/AfricanStudies-idx?type=browse&scope=AfricanStudies
- Almada, Andre Alvares de et. al.. Brief Treatise on the Rivers of Guinea; being an English translation of a variorum text of Tratado breve dos rios de Guiné (c.1594) organised by the late Avelino Teixeira da Mota, together with incomplete annotation; translation, a brief introduction and notes on chapters 13-19 by P.E.H. Hair, and notes on chapters 1-6 by Jean Boulègue. c. 1594. Part One and Part Two. Authors: Almada, Andre Alvares d', fl. 1594. ; Mota, A. Teixeira da ; (Avelino Teixeira); Hair, P. E. H. ; (Paul Edward Hedley); Boulègue, Jean. [Liverpool] : Dept. of History, University of Liverpool, 1984. 2 vols. (Pt. 1. Translated text -- Pt. 2. Notes). (Privately produced and circulated by the late Paul Hair). Covers Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde. Includes a bibliography. http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Africana.Almada01
- Alvares, Manuel. Ethiopia Minor and a Geographical Account of the Province of Sierra Leone (c. 1615). Authors: Alvares, Manuel, 1526-1583. ; Mota, A. Teixeira da ; (Avelino Teixeira); Matos, Luís de. ; Hair, P. E. H. ; (Paul Edward Hedley). [Liverpool, England] : Dept. of History, University of Liverpool, 1990. 1 vol. (Privately produced and circulated by the late Paul Hair). http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Africana.Alvares01
- Barbot's West African Vocabularies of c. 1680. Author: Jean Barbot. Editor: P. E. H. Hair (Paul Edward Hedley). [Liverpool] : Centre of African Studies, University of Liverpool, 1992. 43 p. (Parallel text in French, English, Wolof, Fula, Twi and Ewe). (Privately produced and circulated by the late Paul Hair). http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Africana.Hair01
- Fage, J. D. A Guide to Original Sources for Precolonial Western Africa Published in European Languages : for the most part in book form.Madison : African Studies Program, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1994. 200 p. http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Africana.Fage01
- Jesuit Documents on the Guinea of Cape Verde and the Cape Verde Islands, 1585-1617: : in English translation. Authors: A Teixeira da Mota; P E H Hair. [Liverpool?] : Issued by the Dept. of History, University of Li verpool, 1989. 1 vol. (various pagings). (Privately produced and circulated by the late Paul Hair.) http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Africana.Jesuit01
Women's Travel Writing, 1830-1930 - Africa
On the website of the University of Minnesota's Electronic Text Research Center which has closed. Part of the Women's Travel Writing project. http://etrc.lib.umn.edu/travtxts.htm#africa
- Excerpts from Alone in West Africa. By Mary Gaunt (1912)
- The Development of Dodos. By Mary Kingsley (originally from The National Review, 27, March 1896)
- Some African Highways; a journey of two American women to Uganda and the Transvaal. By Caroline Kirkland. (1908)
- Excerpts from Recollections of a Happy Life . By Marianne North (1893) - travels in South Africa
- Tent and Harem: Notes of an Oriental Trip. By Caroline Paine (1859) - to Egypt
- Memoirs of an Arabian princess. By Emilie Ruete (1907) - "a daughter of Seyyid Saïd, Sultan of Muscat and Zanzibar" who married a German trader
- Customs among the Natives of East Africa, fromTeita to Kilimegalia, with Special Reference to their Women and Children . By Mary French-Sheldon . From the Journal of the Anthropological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, Volume 21, 1892.
- Cairo in 1890. By Constance Woolson. From Harper's New Monthly Magazine, v.83 (1891)
- Algerian Memories. By Fanny Bullock Workman and William Hunter Workman. (1895)