Africa background resources
Africa south of the Sahara.
London, Routledge / Europa Publications
1971-2019 Very good print reference source. Has extensive Country sections, essays such as China in Africa, France - African Relations.
Africa contemporary record; annual survey and documents
1968/69 – 2001/2002 Good print source for historical background.
Africa Research Bulletin 1964 -
Economic, financial, and technical series
Political, social, and cultural series
Helps you find the dates of events, a year’s facts about a country. Search by country. Summarizes current news. Has annual indexes
Online (from 1997) and print (from 1964) editions.
Africa Yearbook Online (Brill). 2004-2018
Covers politics, foreign affairs, socio-economic developments.
Politics, economics, military,business,history, social life, etc.
Encyclopedia of Africa / editors, Kwame Anthony Appiah, Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2010
Encyclopedia of South Africa 
Krista Johnson and Sean Jacobs, editors.
Boulder, Colo. : Lynne Rienner Publishers, Inc., 2011.
Online edition. https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/12970063
Print edition. https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/9371824
General history of Africa (UNESCO)
Abridged ed. London : J. Currey ; Berkeley, Calif. : University of California Press ; Paris : Unesco, c1990-1999. 8 v.
Green Library. Information Center DT20 .G452 1990
- Methodology and African prehistory / editor, J. Ki-Zerbo
- Ancient civilizations of Africa / editor, G. Mokhtar
- Africa from the seventh to the eleventh century / editor, I. Hrbek
- Africa from the twelfth to the sixteenth century / editors, Joseph Ki-Zerbo and Djibril Tamsir Niane
- Africa from the sixteenth to the eighteenth century
- Africa in the nineteenth century until the 1880s / editor, J.F. Ade Ajayi
- Africa under colonial domination 1880-1935 / editor, A. Adu Boahen
- Africa since 1935 / editor, Ali A. Mazrui (reissued in unabridged form).
New encyclopedia of Africa / John Middleton, editor in chief ; Joseph C. Miller, editor.
Detroit : Gale Cengage Learning, c2008. 5 v.
Historical Dictionaries of Africa
Some countries have online editions. Each African country has its own volume. Examples – Historical Dictionary of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (name changes, maps, chronology, history, land & people, Historical Dictionary of Eritrea, Historical Dictionary of Namibia.
Oxford bibliographies. African studies
Essays and annotated bibliographies by experts on African topics. Has British Colonial Rule in Sub-Saharan Africa, French Colonial Rule, German Colonial Rule, Belgian Colonial Rule, etc. http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/10267401
Oxford Handbooks - History - African History
Signed articles by scholars. Topics include -
- Africa in the Atlantic World, C.1760 – C. 1840
- African Literary Histories and History in African Literatures
- Communications and Media in African History
- Demography and Disease
- Ethnicity and Identity
- Health and Healing
- Law, Crime, and Punishment in Colonial Africa By Richard Roberts
- New Religious Movements
Oxford Research Encyclopedias - African History
Has Christian History and Historiography, by Joel Cabrita.
Oxford Research Encyclopedias - African History also includes the contents of the book, Oxford encyclopedia of African historiography : methods and sources, edited by Thomas Spear which includes
- Colonial Conquest and Rule
- Numerical Data and Statistical Sources
- Digital Approaches to the History of the Atlantic Slave Trade
- Digital Sources in Europe for African History
- Quantitative Methods and Economic Statistical Sources for African History
- Newspapers as Sources for African History
- Kingdoms of South-Central Africa: Sources, Historiography, and History
- Slavery and Slave Trade
Culture and Customs of.......................... A series of books on African countries. Example - Culture and Customs of Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Congo, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, etc.