RESEARCH RESTART

The Libraries are resuming limited in-person research activities by appointment only as part of the University's Research Restart Plan.
Learn more about the Libraries' entry requirements and available services.

Named library spaces

Green Library

Cecil H. Green Library comprises the 1980 East Wing and the original 1919 building to the west, which was rededicated in 1999 as the Bing Wing, in recognition of Peter and Helen Bing's unstinting support of the library restoration effort following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.The Ida M. Green Conference Room on the 1st floor of the Bing Wing is named in honor of Ida M. Green, wife of Cecil H. Green. Together they made possible the building of the East Wing of the Green Library. Another “Green“ building on campus, the Cecil H. and Ida M. Green Earth Sciences Research Building, is also named for them.

Jonsson Reading Room The Jonsson Library of Government Documents and The Jonsson Social Sciences Reading Room are both located in the Social Sciences Resource Center (SSRC) and named for J. Erik Jonsson, a long-time friend and donor of the University. The Jonsson Social Sciences Reading Room was dedicated in 2003. The SSRC occupies most of the first floor of the Bing Wing. This area is the focus of the Libraries' collections, resources, and services in support of advanced social science research at Stanford, and is home to library staff engaged in building and interpreting social science and government documents collections. The Center also houses a reference collection of approximately 15,000 volumes. Selected journals, newsletters, new books, and classics in the field can be browsed from the comfort of a variety of seating options.
SSDS print and electronic resources The Center serves as the focal point on campus for specialized computing facilities and support services in the social sciences, including the Social Sciences Data Service housed in the Velma Denning Room, and the Statistical Software Support group. The Velma Denning Room is made possible by the generosity of Barbara ning Finberg, AB ’49, and Robert Denning, AB ’53 & MBA ’55.
Lane Reading Room The Lane Reading Room, named in honor of Melvin B. Lane, AB '44, and his wife, Joan F. Lane, is located on the second floor of the Bi Wing and houses the Humanities and Area Studies Resource Center. The Lane Room also houses printed reference collections and specific "mini-collections" devoted to important topical areas, including collections of new fiction and new books in the scholarly fields of the humanities. Reference materials aiding in the use of Special Collections can also be found here.The Lane Room is located directly above the Social Sciences Resource Center. An internal staircase directly connects the two areas, enabling faculty and students to move easily between these areas and the services they provide.
Field Room  The Charles and Frances Field Room, houses a portion of Special Collections and University Archives. This spacious reading room with its thirty-foot high ceiling and huge west-facing windows is named in honor of Charles D. Field and Frances K. Field, whose long-standing generosity and commitment to the Stanford University Libraries has also contributed to the restoration of this great room. In addition Charles and Frances Field endowed a curatorship within the Special Collections department in 1985; Charles Field endowed funds to be used for the maintenance of the Field Room that same year; and in 1994, Frances Field provided funding to assure the housing of the Field Hemingway Collection. In addition, Charles and Frances endowed the Field Family Book Fund in American and British History in 1978.
Barchas Room The Barchas Room, named for Samuel I. and Cecile M. Barchas, is located between the Lane Reading Room and the Field Room on the second floor of the Bing Wing, and serves as the Special Collections seminar room. It houses the Samuel I. and Cecile M. Barchas Collection in the History of Science and Ideas, acquired in 1982.
Munger Rotunda The Munger Rotunda is at the heart of the Bing Wing. Named in honor of Nancy Barry Munger ’45 and Charles T. Munger, the dramatic beauty of this light-filled area is characteristic of the building, with its emphasis on natural light and vast spaces.Two exhibit cases are recessed in the walls of the rotunda area. An additional six cases are located in the east and south apses.
The Peterson Exhibit Gallery  The Peterson Exhibit Gallery flanks the grand staircase on the second floor. Named for Gregor G. and Dion Peterson, who shared a love of fine press books and the book arts in general, the gallery houses an additional twelve exhibit cases. All were specially designed and built by Helmut Guenschel, Inc., and house exhibits of Special Collections material. Two gracious rooms also located on the second floor of the Bing Wing are the Harold B. and Betty Jo Fitger Williams Room (housing the head of Special Collections) and the Mary Mayer Tanenbaum ’36 Room. There are several group studies on the first and second floors of the Bing Wing. One such room is named for Richard B. Hooper, AB ’37 in grateful recognition of his generous support of the restoration of the Library following the 1989 earthquake. Another, the Richard H. Shainwald Study Room, is named in memory of the father of Barbara S. Rogers, AB ’41 and Dickie S. Kern, AB ’47, AM ’49.
  The Timothy Hopkins Room, located in the northwesterly corner of the third floor of the Bing Wing, houses the office of the University Archivist. The room is a charming period piece from the early decades of the twentieth century. It is furnished with bookcases, paintings, other art objects, and wall coverings that came to Stanford from Mrs. Hopkins in October 1937, when the room was dedicated as a memorial to her husband. Timothy Hopkins served as a Stanford University trustee for 51 years, and played a significant role in establishing the town of Palo Alto, and in founding the Hopkins Marine Station at Pacific Grove. He helped create and support the Lane Medical Library and, with his wife, organized the Stanford Home for Convalescent Children. He donated his private collection of books to the University Library. The Timothy Hopkins Room memorializes the many contributions to Stanford University of this generous businessman and book lover.
The McDermott Suite  The McDermott Suite on the east side of the third floor houses offices of Humanities and Area Studies staff, and is named for the Eugene McDermott Family in recognition and appreciation of the generosity of the Eugene McDermott Foundation. Originally housed in the East Wing of Green Library following its dedication in April 1980, the McDermott Suite was made part of the Humanities and Area Studies Resource Center following the reopening of the Bing Wing.
One corner of the Bender Room The Albert M. Bender Room is located on the fifth floor of the Bing Wing. This space, with its wonderful views of the Quad and the hills beyond the campus, offers comfortable seating and a quiet atmosphere for study, leisure reading, and reflection. The Bender Room contains a collection of good books of current and classic interest in fiction and non-fiction. This collection has been made possible by a generous gift from the Stanford University Bookstore. The Memorabilia Area of the room together with its adjacent reading area has been dedicated to the love of reading and to Anna May Bell Dunlap, AB 1900, and Sue Elizabeth Dunlap Hillman, AB 1931, by the generosity of a gift from Barbara Ann Hillman, AB 1962. Looking back, historical notes show that in 1933, the Stanford Library's scattered special collections, approximately 5,000 volumes, were placed in a seminar room on the top floor of the library called the Rare Book Room. Several years later the room was renamed for Albert M. Bender, the San Francisco bibliophile whose philanthropy benefited the Stanford rare book collections.
  The Raubitschek Room, named in honor of the late professor emeritus Antony E. Raubitschek, is located in Room 351, Green Library East. It brings together the primary texts of Greek and Latin epigraphy and papyrology, together with the necessary secondary and reference literature.
accessibilityaccessprivsarrow-circle-rightaskus-chataskus-librarianbarsblogsclosecoffeecomputercomputersulcontactsconversationcopierelectricaloutleteventsexternal-linkfacebook-circlegroupstudyhoursindividualinterlibrarynewsnextoffcampusopenlateoutdoorpeoplepolicypreviousprinterprojectsquietreservesscannersearchstudysupportingtabletourstwitter-circleworking