Using Collections Emergency Response Kits
Collections Emergency Response Kits
Collections Emergency Response Kits are provided to all SUL departments. Each kit contains basic materials for departmental staff to respond immediately to a minor water emergency, such as leaks and resulting water damage. Plastic sheeting can also be used as a preventive measure to protect collections in areas prone to leaking during wet weather.
The contents of the kit can be used to:
- Absorb small amounts of water on floors, windowsills, tops of shelving ranges, etc.
- Cover shelving and other collections areas to protect materials from leaks
- Dry small numbers of bound volumes
- Protect hands and clothing when working in wet areas
- Secure collections areas to prevent patrons and/or staff from entering
The Collections Emergency Response Kits should be used after following the instructions in Responding to a Collections Emergency. In the event of any collections-related emergency, first contact the SUL Facilities Department at (650)721-5559. Working in consultation with the Preservation Department, Facilities can provide additional equipment for drying collections areas and materials, such as fans, dehumidifiers, extension cords, and other equipment for clean-up and water removal.
If you need supplies for your response kit, please contact Preservation at (650) 724-2958.