Borrow, renew, return
Borrowing library material
Current Stanford affiliates can visit Terman Engineering Library and borrow library materials. Read more about borrowing library materials. Additionally, we have a vast electronic collection to support learning, teaching, and research. If you have any questions about locating electronic material, please contact us at email@example.com.
A Stanford Campus ID card, or a Stanford Libraries Card, is required to check out physical items from the Terman Engineering library. There are no exceptions. Normal loan periods are listed below, however items that circulate for more than 14 days may be recalled. You can read more about our recall policy below.
|Course Reserves||varies, usually 2 hours|
|Macbooks||4 hours, in-library use only|
|Timoshenko Collection||in-library use only|
|Terman Collection||in-library use only|
Renewing library material
If you have a SUNetID, you can renew most items online up to two times. To renew online, log in to My Library Account or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When renewing items via email, please send:
- your name
- the nine underlined digits on your Stanford Campus ID
- the barcode number on the item that begins with "36105"
E-mail renewal can take up to two business days. You should get a confirmation e-mail. If you do not get a confirmation, please call us.
Please note, if the library or another patron has recalled an item, it cannot be renewed. Additionally, course reserves items, chromebooks, macbooks, e-readers, journals, and DVDs must be renewed in person. Finally, t if you do not have a SUNetID, you will not be able to renew material online.
Returning library material
For information about fines and fees, please email us directly at email@example.com.
- If a 28-day loan item is overdue, a bill will be sent 15 days after the due date. The bill will include a $150.00 replacement charge and a non-refundable $5.00 billing fee. When the item is returned, only the replacement charge will be removed.
- For course reserve items and hourly loan items, a bill is sent three days after the due time. Fines accrue at a rate of $1.00 per hour.
- Recalled items not returned by the new due date will begin accruing recall overdue fines of $3.00 per day. A bill for replacement and suspension of privileges will occur eight days after the new recall date.
Lost or damaged material
Library privileges can be blocked for several reasons, including: unpaid library fines, registration holds, or invalid addresses. Student privileges are blocked when library fines reach $50 or more, faculty privileges are blocked when fines reach $300 or more, and fee-based (visitor) privileges are blocked when fines reach $1.50 or more OR when an item is overdue.
All fines must be paid in full once a patron is blocked. For more information, please refer to the suspended privileges page.
You can pay fines online through My Library Account.
Library materials that circulate for a loan period longer than 14 days are subject to recall. Recalled items will be due immediately if recalled for the Library and within 7 days if recalled for another borrower. A recalled item is assigned a new due date which supersedes the original due date. Recalled materials must be returned directly to the front desk of the owning library. If you plan on leaving the area for an extended period of time, make sure to return your library materials before you leave. Exceptions will not be made if a book is recalled while you are away.