The Illuminated Page: Manuscripts from the Burke Collection, 1150 - 1550
Celebrating the art of Italian manuscript painting from the 12th to the 16th century, The Illuminated Page: Manuscripts from the Burke Collection, 1150 - 1550, explores choirbook decorations from the collection of T. Robert and Katherine States Burke, currently on deposit at Stanford Libraries. From the simple beauty of the twelfth-century St. John the Evangelist, produced in Florence by an artist known only as The Gaddiana Master, to the sixteenth-century Saint Paul by Giulio Clovio, one of the last great painters of illuminated manuscripts, enjoy viewing the principal artists and styles of Italian manuscript decoration in the late Middle Ages and Renaissance.
Alongside manuscript decorations, visitors will see a variety of printed books, examples of non-liturgical musical notation, and humanist manuscripts. Moving city by city, this exhibit explores regional differences, individual celebrated artists, religious institutions, and the book production contexts in which the decorations were created.
Note: Exhibit cases in the Peterson Gallery and Munger Rotunda are illuminated daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Visitors are encouraged to call 650-723-0931 or visit the Library Hours page to confirm hours.
The exhibition is free and open to the public; first-time visitors and those without Stanford ID must register using a government-issued ID at either of the entrances to Green Library before entering the building.