This guide identifies major Chinese biographical resources in Stanford's collections as well as links to outside resources.
Table of Contents
Finding research books and articles on individuals
- Searchworks or Socrates. Please note, if one searches in Chinese characters for Chinese materials, for the best results, please use Socrates. Currently the CJK searching functionalities for Searchworks are still under development.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies, This is the online version of the Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS), referencing principally western-language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971.
- Historical abstracts with full text, covers the history of the world (excluding the United States and Canada) from 1450 to the present, including world history, military history, women's history, and history of education. Provides selective indexing of historical articles from more than 1,800 journals in over 40 languages back to 1955 as well as the full text of more than 300 journals and over 130 books.
- China Academic Journals, a full text databases covering approximately 6,600 journal titles from the People's Republic of China.
- Taiwan Electronic Periodical Service (TEPS), covers full text articles published in leading Taiwanese academic journals.
- Duxiu 读秀, provides full-text access or bibliographical information to over 2 million core Chinese monographs and journals, as well as over 500 yearbooks published in mainland China.
- National Index to Chinese Newspapers & Periodicals 全国报刊索引, an index database covering information from 1833 to the present. It lists about 18,000 kinds of newspapers and periodicals published in China.
- Chinamaxx, fulltext database of hundreds of thousands of books published in China since 1949 concentrating on social sciences and humanities.