Table of Contents
Not sure where to start? Try one of these databases.
- Less is more! If you don't find enough results on cycling of nitrates, instead try nitrogen.
- Expand time or geography. If you don't find enough results on Post-Eocene San Joaquin-Tulare Basins, instead try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
- Limit with caution. Certain limiting features may limit your retrieval in ways you don't expect. Some recommended limits are: Source Type, Date, and Limiting to “Peer reviewed” (in Basic and Advanced Search).
- GeoRef search tip: The truncation symbol is an asterisk (*) and the wildcard is a questionmark (?). Using the * on a word will look for ALL possible variations for that word:
environment* will search for environment, environmental, environments …
[*3]magnet* will search for magnetic, demagnetization, geomagnetic, geomagnetism …
geolog* will search for geology, geologic, and geological
- Remember to use Boolean logic. Use the OR search connector to search for different phrasings. If you use AND and OR search commands in the same search, put parentheses around the OR terms: try (mesozioc or paleozoic or precambrain) AND San Joaquin.
To specify a location, consider your site at different scales. For information about Lake Tahoe, use terms like:
- Lake Tahoe
- Northern Sierra Nevada
- State names (California and Nevada); County names
Also add geologically-related terms:
- mines and mining
And consider both time periods and rock formations:
- Cambrian, Pleistocene, etc.
- Navajo Sandstone
Subject Searching: For a more directed search, do a subject search. In a subject search, you need to use official Library of Congress terminology. This type of language might not seem natural to you, but if you are not having any luck with keywords, it can be quite useful. For example, to find a guide for the Lake Tahoe region, you would type:
- Geology--Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.)--Guidebooks
- Geology--Nevada--Reno Region--Guidebooks
Other "official" subject terms include:
- Geology, Structural
- Faults (Geology)
- Geology, Stratigraphic
- Geology, Stratigraphic--Pleistocene
- Plate tectonics
For the subject Geochemistry
search also under the broader term: Chemistry
search also under the broader term: Earth sciences
search also under the narrower term: Analytical geochemistry
search also under the narrower term: Biogeochemistry
More Subject Terms
- Geochemical conditions and source fluid composition of base metal sulfide mineralization in the Lón District, southeastern Iceland
- Applying Structure from Motion (SfM) Techniques to Map Ground Temperatures and Hydrothermal Radiant Heat Fluxes on Local Scales.
- Structure from motion.
- Mammoth Mountain. (Keyword search)
- Mammoth Lakes (Calif.)
- Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
- Proposal for “The Creation, Reliability, and Usefulness of Earthquake Catalogs”
Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, and Handbooks
Major Reference Works and Encyclopedias
Oxford Reference Online brings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest and most trusted reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource. The Premium Collection offers a huge range of fully-indexed, extensively linked, up to date, and cross-searchable dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press.
Knovel provides access to over 2,000 leading reference works and databases from over 50 international publishers and professional societies through a single interface.
A list of resources to assist with writing and publishing in the sciences.
- On Dinosaur Growth
- Paleobiology of Herbivorous Dinosaurs
- Thermal Maturation of Gas Shale Systems
- The Uses of Dynamic Earthquake Triggering
- Global Positioning System (GPS) and GPS-Acoustic Observations: Insight into Slip Along the Subduction Zones Around Japan
- Particle Geophysics
- Falling in Love with Waves
- Earth Abides Arsenic Biotransformations
- Investigating Microbe-Mineral Interactions: Recent Advances in X-Ray and Electron Microscopy and Redox-Sensitive Methods
- Who Should Read This Journal?
- Networks and the Challenge of Sustainable Development
- Implications of Arctic Sea Ice Decline for the Earth System
- Tropical Forests in the Anthropocene
- The Environmental Costs and Benefits of Fracking
- Dynamics and Resilience of Rangelands and Pastoral Peoples Around the Globe
- Energy for Transport
- Consumer End-Use Energy Efficiency and Rebound Effects
- The Psychology of Environmental Decisions