This guide provides an overview of the standards resources that are available at Stanford. The Engineering Library has a collection of standards that includes many full-text online standards.
Many standards are listed in SearchWorks. To find standards, search in SearchWorks for the name of the standard issuing organization (e.g. ASTM, ISO) or the individual standards title. Please note, some standards are grouped together under the issuing organization, so you won't find them by title.
Instructors interested in getting copies of ISO Standards for use in the classroom can now get copies for students via the ANSI University Outreach Program. For information and request forms please contact Zac Painter.
Don't see the standard you need via one of the resources below, try browsing the ANSI Incorporated by Reference Service.
Online standards via ANSI Standards Connect
Access selected full-text online standards from the following publishers via ANSI Standards Connect. Access to these standards is restricted to Stanford users only.
- AAMI (Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation)
- ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers)
- ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)
- DIN (German Institute for Standardization)
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission)
- ICC (International Code Council)
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization)
Online standards via TechStreet
Access selected full-text online standards from the following publishers via the TechStreet platform. You must have the File Open plugin for Acrobat, to view the full-text files. Access to these standards is restricted to Stanford users only. *Note: Additional Standards previously available via TechStreet can now be accessed using ANSI Standards Connect.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- British Standards Institution (BSI)
- Deutsches Institut für Normung, the German Institute for Standardization (DIN e.V.)
- Eurocodes - standard documents are not free, but some publications are.
- IEEE Standards Association
- IEEE Industry Standards and Technology Organization (IEEE-ISTO)
- International Code Council (ICC)
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Standards Engineering Society - Report on the strategic value of standards in education