After careful consideration, the University Librarian and the Directors have agreed to change our organizational name from “Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources” to "The Stanford University Libraries". Effective immediately, all staff should refer to the organization as The Stanford University Libraries or Stanford Libraries; and should discontinue use of the name “Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources” and all of its abbreviations and derivatives (e.g. SULAIR, SU/LAIR, SUL/AIR).
Our well-earned reputation as leaders in digital library development and academic technology work means that the name The Stanford University Libraries stands alone as describing and signifying the full range of traditional and digital library functions, publishing functions, and academic & information technology support that occurs under our umbrella.
The name The Stanford University Libraries (or Stanford Libraries) should be understood to include:
- Collection Development and Public Services in Science & Engineering, Humanities, Social Sciences, and International & Area Studies
- Academic Computing Services (including Student Computing, the ATS Program, CourseWork, the Digital Language Lab, etc.)
- Digital Library Systems & Services (DLSS) and Enterprise Systems and Programming (ESP)
- Technical Services (Access Services, Acquisitions, Metadata, and Preservation)
- Library Communications & Development
- Library facilities, administrative services, budget office and human resources
HighWire Press, the Stanford University Press, and LOCKSS are enterprises of the Stanford University Libraries, reporting to the University Librarian.
We are announcing this change now so that those who are creating content for the new website (now at http://librarypreview.stanford.edu) will use The Stanford University Libraries (or Stanford Libraries, or SUL) in place of "Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources" (or SULAIR) when referring to the organization as a whole. A comprehensive branding and publicity project, to include standards for print materials such as letterhead and business cards, as well as logos and presentation templates, will be completed at a later date.
For questions, please contact Andrew Herkovic, Director of Communications & Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.