Gear Up for Scientific & Technical Publishing
Tuesday, April 17, 2018 9:45 am to 2:45 pm Hartley Conference Center, Mitchell Building
Stanford Libraries' Spring 2018 Gear Up event focused on many aspects of scientific and technical publishing, including graphics for publication, data sharing, writing abstracts, author rights, graphical abstracts, and preprint services.
The event also included a group of Stanford faculty who served as journal editors that joined us for a panel discussion to answer questions about how to get published.
View speaker bios and presentation abstracts.
9:45 - 10:00 -- Coffee
10:00 - 10:30 -- Practices for Effective Publication Graphics (slides in pptx or pdf)
Katharine Ng (Post-doctoral fellow in Bioengineering)
10:30 - 11:00 -- Data Sharing for Publications (slides in pptx or pdf)
- Meghan Byrne (Senior Editor, PLOS)
11:00 - 11:30 -- Writing a winning abstract (slides in pptx or pdf, handout)
- Kelly Harrison (Stanford Technical Communications Program, School of Engineering)
11:30 - 12:00 -- Copyright Issues for Academics: The Stanford Perspective (slides in pptx or pdf)
- Mimi Calter (Deputy University Librarian, Stanford University Libraries)
12:00 - 12:45 -- Lunch
12:45 - 1:45 -- Panel of Stanford Faculty Editors
- Noah Diffenbaugh (Earth System Science and Woods Institute)
- Margot Gerritsen (Energy Resources Engineering, Director of ICME, Sr. Assoc. Dean of Educational Affairs SE3)
- Noah Rosenberg (Biology)
- Edith Sullivan (Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences)
1:45 - 2:15 -- The Art of Graphical Abstracts and Why They Are Important (slides in pptx or pdf)
- Jin Zhong Zhang (Senior Editor of Journal of Physical Chemistry, American Chemical Society, and Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, UC Santa Cruz)
2:15 - 2:45 -- Preprints and preprint servers for all disciplines: lessons from the creation of EarthArXiv (slides in pptx or pdf)
- Daniel Ibarra (PhD Candidate, Earth System Science, and Founding Member of the EarthArXiv Advisory Council)