Design your project
Define your data questions. Make a plan for getting started. Document your process and make metadata to keep your research data useful for the future. Write a Data Management Plan (DMP).
- Data management plans (DMPs) and the DMPTool
- Data best practices
Learn to use data
Learn more about working with data by attending a workshop. Or talk to us about planning a workshop for your group or class. Partner with us to hold a Data or Software Carpentry workshop.
You may find more workshop information on these pages:
- Carpentries workshops (software and computing skills)
- Stanford Geospatial Center workshops
- Center for Interdisciplinary Digital Research workshops
- Consulting for quantitative and qualitative data and software
- Lane Library classes and workshops
Search for, create, convert, or collect data for research. Stanford Libraries has extensive experience with contracts and licensing related to data purchases. Please contact us with any questions you have about data licensing, vendor contracts, or whether we can purchase the data that you need.
- Earthworks for geospatial data
- Social Science Data Collection
- Data Farm with commonly used data sets
- Stanford Research Data
- Search the library catalog
Get started analyzing your data. We have specialized software and hardware tools to use in your analysis and experts who can help you.
- Software and programming languages for quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Campus software resources
- Geospatial software
- Geocoding Services
- Shared computing at Stanford (FarmShare)
- Stanford Research Computing Center
Share & preserve your data
Preparing your data and metadata for reporting, publication, and sharing.
- General information about data sharing and preservation
- Stanford Digital Repository
- Get a DOI for your scholarly work
- Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
- Domain-specific data repositories
You can contact the Research Data Services team directly via email@example.com or you can submit your questions/requests via this contact form.
- Create metadata for your research projectHow to create metadata for your research projects.
- Data best practices and case studiesHow to use best practices for managing your research data, along with case studies and examples to help you use these techniques.