The Stanford Geospatial Center lab is housed in the Branner Earth Sciences Library on the second floor of the Mitchell Earth Science building. Click here for the map.
The SGC lab provides nine high power desktop machines for GIS project related work. The SGC lab network drive provides a centralized location for users to manage GIS projects as well a large repository of base and thematic data for starting projects.
Hours: The GIS lab hours are the same as the Branner Earth Science Library.
Please check here for notices about lab use issues and temporary lab closures.
SGC Lab Policies
SGC lab access is restricted to GIS users only. New users should contact David Medeiros to be added to the lab workgroup. Users who wish to make a reference appointment must have prior ArcGIS experience or have taken our Introduction to GIS workshop.
- Contact Branner GIS staff for lab access here.
- Login to GIS computers using your regular SUNet username and password.
- R\Users: User folder on the network server. This is your main GIS project storage folder.
- Q\Data: Read-only base GIS data collection. Please do not copy large datasets to your user folder.
- Q\Groups: Group folders for collaborative work, please request access from SGC staff.
- D: Temporary scratch drive. Use this local drive for fast temporary access to large datasets that may run slowly across the network. Remember to move files you want to keep back to your R\Users folder before logging out.
- C: DO NOT USE. Main hard drive on computer, not for data storage.
- Desktop/Documents/Downloads folders: do not store data here; ArcGIS may have trouble connecting to these locations. Always use your Q drive folder.
- If you are experiencing slow processing or frequent crashes, check your AFS space, it might be full. Clean up your desktop, downloads, and recycle folders to free up space.
- ArcGIS Desktop Advanced 10.7.1
- ArcGIS Pro 2.4
- QGIS 2.18 LTS
- Google Earth Pro
- Python 2.7