Nick Bauch, Launching Enchanting the Desert, May 16, 2016
Petr Pridal Talk: Old Maps Online, GIS and Cutting-Edge Technology
On December 7th at 4pm, the David Rumsey Map Center will host a talk by Petr Pridal, CEO of Klokan Technologies GmbH. Petr will be presenting on augmented reality, historical GIS, maps made with vector tiles and about the beauty of historical documents when combined with modern technology. He will also touch on plans for the future of Georeferencer system and the OldMapsOnline search engine.
The event is free, but requires advance registration. Please visit this link.
Asian Representations and Constructions of Space
Organized by Dan Tuzzeo and with generous support from the Stanford Humanities Center, the Ho Center for Buddhist Studies at Stanford, and the Stanford Departments of East Asian Languages and Cultures, History, and Religious Studies the Center will host the Geballe Research Workshop series entitled: Asian Representations and Constructions of Space (ARCS).
Throughout the academic year ARCS will invite a total of nine scholars from various disciplines to share works in progress concerning geographical, cosmological, and ritual space in historical Asian contexts from ancient and early modern India, China, Japan, and the Himalayas. Speakers will introduce participants to art, architecture, maps, manuscripts, gazetteers, and digital tools that formulate and depict a broad scope of spatial realms.
Winter 2018 Schedule will be coming shortly stay tuned! For more and to register, visit this page.
- 11/15/2017, GIS Day. For more, please visit this page.
- Asian Representations and Constructions of Space
- October 12, 3pm-5pm; Eric Huntington (Postdoctoral Fellow, Ho Center for Buddhist Studies at Stanford): "Frames of Scale and Geo-Spatial Transformations in the Buddhist Maṇḍala”. For more, visit this page.
- October 26, 10am-12pm; Jon Felt (Assistant Professor of History, Brigham Young University): "The Empire and the Ecumene: Regionalism After the Han Empire" For more, visit this page.
- November 27, 10am-12pm; Joint session with Kären Wigen (Professor of History, Stanford University) and D. Max Moerman (Professor of Asian & Middle Eastern Cultures, Barnard College, Columbia University): "Imagining 'Asia': Foreign and Native Worldviews in Constructions of Early Modern Japanese Cartography”. For more, please visit this page.
- November 10, 2017, Time in Space: Representing Time in Maps. For further information, visit this website.Barry Lawrence Ruderman Conference on Cartography, October 19-21, 2017. For more more information, go to the website here.
- May 22, 2017, 9 am - 12.30 pm: "If You Weren't" is a symposium of talks, games, discussions on roles of alternate and augmented reality, in conjunction with book: Alternate Reality Games and the Cusp of Digital Gameplay. Free, but registration required. Please Visit this page for details.
- May 20th, 2017, 8.30 am - 9 pm: California Map Society Meeting (One Day Conference, including map talks): Registration and fees. Please visit this page for details.
- May 4th, 2017, 6 pm: Essay Competition Winner + Richard Brown and Paul Cohen Talk: Free, but registration required. Please Visit this page for details.