Planning your visit
Barry Lawrence Ruderman Conference on Cartography 2019: Gender, Sexuality, Cartography
October 10-12, 2019 at the David Rumsey Map Center
Conference sessions will be held in one location:Thursday, Friday and Saturday, October 10th-12thin the David Rumsey Map Center Cecil H. Green Library, 4th Floor557 Escondido Mall, Stanford, CA 94305
Information about transportation to Stanford can be found here. Some important and helpful transportation links include:
Parking on campus can be something of an adventure, but it's often easier if you arrive by or before 8:30am. If you are driving, we strongly recommend parking in Parking Structure 6, also known as the Wilbur Field Garage. It's a very short walk to the David Rumsey Map Center. Be sure to park in visitor parking spaces, and pay for a full day at the parking permit machines. You can also use the Parkmobile app to pay for your space.
Alternative methods of getting to campus from your hotel can be found at Stanford's transportation site here.
There are three airports in reasonable proximity to Stanford:
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is the most convenient, and will likely have the most options. It is 27 miles from campus and a 30 minute drive in normal traffic.
- San Jose (Mineta) International Airport (SJC) is also quite convenient, but may have fewer direct flights. It is 18 miles from campus, but also around a 30 minute drive in normal traffic.
- Oakland International Airport (OAK) is 30 miles from campus, and a 50 minute drive in normal traffic. It's an option, but the least ideal.
Campus Attractions and Dining
Local Attractions and Dining
If you're looking for somewhere to eat after the conference:
- We enjoy the top recommended restaurants on the Dining in Palo Alto Yelp Page.
- Please feel welcome to ask your hosts in person if you would like a review or further recommendations.
Travel and accomodation is at your own expense, or the expense of your institution. Below we've provided some guidance on air travel, lodging and transportation. There are many hotels in close proximity to campus. Increasingly, visitors to Stanford are finding affordable lodging on AirBnB.