Swain Chemistry & Chemical Engineering Library
Swain Library provides reserve services for the Departments of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. We also maintain course guides about library resources for selected classes. Many Stanford classes now use CourseWork to make certain resources available.
All reserve books may be requested at the Swain Library circulation desk.
Find items on reserve
- Online: Search the course reserves catalog by course number or instructor.
- At Swain Library: Check the Reserve binder located at the circulation desk. Courses are listed by course number, and reserve items for each course are listed by the author’s last name. Reserves include both print and e-reserves.
Use items on reserve
- Request items by author’s last name at the circulation desk. You must have your Stanford ID to borrow items. Users are limited to two items at a time.
- Reserves circulate for two hours and only during Swain Library’s hours of operation (no overnight or weekend loans). Reserve items are due at the circulation desk ten minutes prior to closing of the library.
- Items must be returned directly to the circulation desk so that they can be discharged and re-shelved promptly.
- No holds or renewals are accepted. Reserve items can be checked out again by the same user, if they are not needed by another user.
We appreciate your help, and your classmates will appreciate your prompt action, in assuring that reserve items are available to all when needed.
Since ready and equal access to reserve items is vital for students taking classes with materials on reserve, stiff fines are assessed for late returns of items recalled for reserves and for reserve items kept beyond their loan period. Details are listed in Fines and fees.
Online Course readers: Loading reading material into CourseWork or any other course management system is equivalent to creating a printed course reader. Where the printer generally takes responsibility for obtaining permissions for republication in a printed reader, the faculty member loading materials into the course management system is responsible for ensuring that permissions are obtained. One option in managing those permissions is SIPX, a service developed at Stanford specifically assist in distributing digital content in an academic setting, legally, easily and cost-effectively.
Putting materials on reserve in the Swain Library: Please allow adequate time to process lists. While some items may already be in the library, others may need to be recalled or purchased. Our new online version of the reserve request form gives the instructors a way to create and edit the reserve list themselves as well as the choice of delegating this task to other persons.
Before each quarter, an e-mail is sent to faculty as a reminder when the reserves requests should be submitted. The e-mail also includes an attachment with more detailed instructions for the online form.
Place items on reserve
Fill out the online Course Reserves Request form.
If you prefer, you can send an e-mail with your list of titles to the reserves specialist (email@example.com). Please specify editions. If necessary, we can send a copy of the list of the previous quarter for you to type in the changes and e-mail the updated request back to us.
You may need to obtain copyright clearance for photocopies before we can place them on reserve for you.
Access the online request form
- Click on "Create a new reserve list".
- Enter the course number in the search box (e.g. Chem-31B).
- Click on the course with your name.
If the form is empty, fill out the required field (for “select library” enter Chemistry Library) and choose the appropriate quarter. Then enter the SearchWorks url for each title on your list, and if needed, add information in the “add comments” box.
If the form is pre-populated, please review the list and the designated quarter, check the comments boxes for questions and add/ delete information as needed. Add/delete titles if applicable.
Enter the SUNet IDs of TAs or other persons to whom you would like to give access for editing the form in the “List Management” box.
If no substantial changes are necessary on the form from a previous quarter, the list can be “cloned” for the current or future quarter.
Please note: if co-teaching with another instructor, the names of both instructors must match on the correct form.
Click on "Save draft" any time to save your entries, and click on "Send request" when you are finished with the form. This will send the list back to Swain Library for processing.
For detailed screen shot instructions, see the PowerPoint presentation Course Reserves Procedures.
Contact Swain Library (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information or assistance.