Swain Chemistry & Chemical Engineering Library
Off-campus access to resources
Accessing web-based resources
To use licensed resources from off-campus, you should do two things.
- Set up your browser so that you are prompted to enter a SUNet ID when trying to use Stanford licensed content. Please see SUL’s Connecting from off-campus.
- Access a title through the journal list, SearchWorks, the SUL eJournals page, or a Find it @ Stanford button in database search results. There are often prefixes and suffixes added to the URL for a journal that contain subscription information.
Accessing chemistry software programs and databases on CDSERVER
It is possible to access several chemistry software programs and databases on CDSERVER both on and off-campus using a web browser and a Citrix plugin. The Citrix plug-in activates the programs which are stored on a server.
- Software available: ACD Labs Software (HNMR and CNMR Prediction), ChemBioOffice Ultra (only ChemBioDraw, ChemBio3D, ChemBioFinder), and Polymath. For more information about these programs, see Software at Swain Library.
- Databases available: CASSI (Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index); CSD (Cambridge Structural Database) plus Mercury, DASH, Hermes, and SuperStar; NIST Critically Selected Stability Constants for Metal Complexes; and NIST Surface Structure Database.
- First, if you plan to access CDSERVER from off-campus and have not accessed resources from off-campus already, you set up your browser so that you are recognized as part of the Stanford community (i.e. prompted to enter SUNet ID) (see “SUNet web authentication” above)
- Next, check settings for pop-ups as you must allow pop-ups to be used. Go to Tools > Pop-up Blocker in the menu bar of IE to check setting.
- Now, go to CDSERVER. In Message Center, there will be a note to download and install a Citrix plug-in.
- Go to CDSERVER, and follow the instructions below.
Login in as “explicit” user and then enter in SUNet ID and password.
Choose Chemistry folder.
Choose the application.
A Citrix plugin is activated. Choose “Full Access”
To save files to your computer, navigate to ‘Client C’ Drive (your computer) and then Save file.