Learn more about dissertation and thesis submission
Graduated and enrolled Stanford students may submit their dissertations and theses through Axess. The electronic submission process is free of charge. The service provides the ability to check your pre-submission requirements, and, when ready, you can upload a digital copy of your dissertation or thesis.
Who is eligible?
The online Dissertation and Thesis Center in Axess is currently available to Stanford PhD, JSD, DMA, and engineering-degree students only.
What to expect
- After you have applied to graduate and have enrolled, you will see the Dissertation and Thesis Center in Axess.
- You’ll want to prepare your work for submission, following the guidelines for format and title page.
- It may be helpful for you to check out how to request to use copyrighted material, if you have questions.
- Next, you’ll submit your dissertation or thesis by following this helpful checklist for submitting your dissertation or thesis.
- After submission, a certificate of final reading will be created by your Final Reader, using the online submission workflow.
- In addition, you’ll need to obtain approval from each member of your reading committee.
- After you have fulfilled all requirements and your dissertation or thesis has been approved by the University Registrar, it will be cataloged, preserved in the Stanford Digital Repository, and made available online via SearchWorks, the online library catalog.
- Please note: if embargoed, your dissertation or thesis PDF will be available only to Stanford affiliates for the duration of the embargo.
For more detailed information about submitting your dissertation or thesis online, refer to this set of dissertations and theses web pages provided by the Student Services Center.
Capstone and thesis submission (undergraduate honors, master's)
Check out the capstone and thesis submission (undergraduate honors, master's) page for information about submitting these types of theses.
Questions about the dissertation and thesis submission service?
If you have questions about submitting your dissertation or thesis, please contact the Student Services Center.