Service impacts during the upgrade
Libraries will be open regular hours with some changes to services.
The SearchWorks online catalog will be available but please note:
- The Check availability button will show an item's status as of August 18; therefore it may not be up to date.
- In some instances, availability will display as "Unknown".
- Real-time availability display will resume on Monday, August 28.
Request & pickup, Recall and Scan-to-PDF requests
You may place requests in SearchWorks, but materials may not be ready for use until after August 31. Please email Green Library Circulation or contact them by phone at 650-723-1493 if you have an urgent request.
Special collections requests
Materials held by the Archive of Recorded Sound, David Rumsey Map Center, East Asia Special Collections, Hoover Library & Archives, or Special Collections & University Archives can be requested using the via the Finding Aid or via Aeon linksin SearchWorks, and used in reading rooms during the upgrade period.
My Library Account
Online services within My Library Account will be unavailable. You will be unable to:
- view items checked out
- renew items
- view, change, or cancel requests
- view or pay fines and fees
- purchase or renew library cards
Online services will resume on Monday, August 28. Patrons with a proxy, fee, or courtesy account will be prompted to choose a new PIN the first time they log in after the system upgrade.
Libraries will be open regular hours and staff will be available to assist you with:
- borrowing materials
- lost items
- paying fines and fees (check only)
About the system upgrade
Stanford Libraries relies heavily on an Integrated Library System (ILS) to acquire, describe, and provide access to the more than 10 million items in the library collections. The August 2023 upgrade marks the first time in over 20 years that the libraries will be moving to a brand new system, FOLIO (The Future of Libraries is Open). An open-source system designed for and by libraries and librarians, FOLIO has the following benefits:
- Visibility into materials, data, and processes
- Efficiency and flexibility
- Smoother integration with other systems
- Opportunities for process improvements
- Increased collaboration among libraries at Stanford
Stanford looks forward to joining our peers who have already adopted FOLIO, and to contributing our expertise and energy to the FOLIO community.