Connecting to e-resources
Connect from off campus
Our license agreements for electronic resources restrict off-campus access to current Stanford faculty, staff, students, and approved affiliates only. If you are off campus (or not using the Stanford network), you must identify yourself as a Stanford user by using a link that includes a special EZproxy prefix. Use one of the shortcut options below to create a proxy URL:
Option A: EZproxy Bookmarklet
Drag-and-drop method (for desktops and laptops):
- Make sure the bookmark toolbar is enabled.
- Drag the link below onto your browser's bookmarks toolbar:
- Next time you can’t access an e-resource while off‐campus, click on the bookmarklet.
Manual method (for desktops, laptops, and mobile devices):
- Create a bookmark for this page (or any webpage).
- Change the name of the bookmark to “EZproxy.”
- Change the bookmark’s URL to:
- Next time you can’t access an e-resource while off‐campus, click on the bookmarklet to reload your page with EZproxy.
Option B: LibX (for Chrome and Firefox)
- Go to LibX.
- Select the "Stanford Libraries LibX Edition" (or click on “Search for an edition for my community” and search for Stanford) and install.
- The LibX icon will install into your browser, near the URL field.
- You can use LibX in two ways:
- click on the LibX icon in the browser, select "Proxies" on the left, and click on "Reload page with this proxy."
- right-click (or control-click on a Mac) on any link on a page and choose the option "Follow link via EZProxy."
Option C: Manual
Manually add the following prefix to the URL:
For example, in order to have full-text access to Nature, your browser must use this web address:
Troubleshooting access problems
If you are unable to connect to an electronic resource, try the following: