EndNote and EndNote Web
EndNote is software package for creating bibliographies and managing references.
There are four versions available:
- EndNote Basic (Free Version) is a no-cost limited web version with 21 styles and a limited number of filters and connection files. This version is available to anyone. A maximum of 50,000 references and of 2 GB of attachments is allowed.
- EndNote Basic (Web of Science Version) is a limited web-based version available to Stanford faculty, students, and staff as part of our subscription to Web of Science. Like the free version of EndNote Basic, a maximum of 50,000 references and of 2 GB of attachments is allowed. In addition, the Web of Science version of EndNote Basic has over 6,000 styles and hundreds of filters and connection files.
- EndNote, also known as EndNote Desktop, is the stand-alone full software package for a personal computer. Stanford users can purchase the most current version at the academic price at the Stanford Bookstore.
- EndNote Online is an expanded version of EndNote Basic that is available once your EndNote Desktop software is associated with your EndNote Basic account. Unlike EndNote Basic, EndNote Online allows an unlimited number of references and attachments. EndNote Desktop can synchronize references with EndNote Online.
- NOTE: Earlier versions of EndNote Basic and EndNote Online were called EndNote Web. "EndNote Web" can loosely refer to any of the EndNote versions available via the web. However, there is no EndNote product that is currently called "EndNote Web".
To create an EndNote Basic or EndNote Online account:
- Navigate to Web of Science--All Databases.
- Click on link to access Web of Science.
- On the Web of Science site, under "Tools", select "EndNote".
- Click on "Register".
- Follow the prompts to register with Web of Science.
- Return to the Web of Science home page and under "Tools", select "EndNote" again.
- Sign in with the just-created username and password.
- You will need to agree to the terms and conditions before using the service.
Using EndNote while off-campus to retrieve articles from databases licensed by Stanford University Libraries:
- Off campus use of EndNote X7 or later - Find Full Text
- Off campus use of EndNote X7 or later - VPN Use
Documentation and tutorials: