Taiwan Resource Center for Chinese Studies (TRCCS) 臺灣漢學資源中心
Stanford East Asia Library officially established the Taiwan Resource Center for Chinese Studies (TRCCS) on September 22, 2022, as one of the international, specialized collections at the Library.
The Taiwan Resource Center for Chinese Studies is a cooperative project intended to promote international exchange in the fields of Chinese studies and Taiwan studies. Through this project, the National Central Library of Taiwan (NCL) has partnered with over forty libraries at worldwide research institutions, including Stanford University. As part of the cooperative agreement, the NCL will provide TRCCS partner institutions with annual donations of print and audio-visual materials published in Taiwan as well as IP-based access to shared e-resources.
The first shipment of 653 titles in 780 volumes of donated books will be processed. If interested, please check the list of books in Google Drive. Stanford professors and students can request express processing of needed books from the list. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Electronic databases provided by the TRCCS:
- National Bibliographic Information Network NBINet (全國圖書書目資訊網) This is a union catalog of academic and primary public libraries in Taiwan. Currently this union catalog contains the catalogs of more than one hundred libraries.
- Synergy of Metadata Resources in Taiwan, SMRT (臺灣書目整合查詢系統)This is a centralized database system. It continues to integrate metadata records of more than fifty databases. They include: the union catalog of Taiwan, the NBINet, the “Taiwan Periodical Literature,” the “National Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations in Taiwan,” the “National Central Library Gazette Online,” and all the digital collections of the NCL. The number of metadata records in this database system has reached fifteen million, topping all other databases in Taiwan. This database is helpful for researchers to identify the type of a known title, allowing the researcher to then go the Taiwan Periodical Literature database or the National Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations in Taiwan database to locate full-text image files of the work to view open-access.
- National Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations in Taiwan (臺灣博碩士論文知識加值系統) “NDLTD-Taiwan” is the only database system that has consistently been collecting theses and dissertations from colleges and universities in Taiwan from 1956 to the present. Currently the database contains more than one million metadata records with abstracts, of which more than 420,000 theses and dissertations are available as open-access full-text images.
- Taiwan Periodical Literature (臺灣期刊論文索引系統) This database contains more than five thousand titles of journals, of which about 2,800 are classified as academic journals, including journals and bulletins in Chinese and Western languages. This database also includes a few selected journals published in Hong Kong and Macao. By March 2021, the time the updated version of this database launched for use, the total metadata records had accumulated to as many as 2.7 million, of which about 42,000 articles are available open-access from the publishers or the authors, with full-text image PDF files viewable online.
- NCL Taiwan Periodical Literature (期刊文獻資訊網) This database system contains the following four sub-databases:
- Taiwan Periodical Literature—for searching for articles. A rather complete index for periodical literature published in Taiwan post WWII.
- Directory to Taiwan Periodicals —for searching for journals information. This directory collects mainly journals, newspapers, and gazettes published in Taiwan. It also includes some selected academic journals published in Hong Kong and Macau and some important periodicals and newspapers published before 1945 in Mainland China.
- NCL China Periodical Literature Index—an index to China periodicals held at the Center for Chinese Studies (CCS) in the NCL.
- Table of Contents of Chinese Literature—this database provides an index to the monograph series on Chinese Literature, History, and Culture, 1946-1979.
- Taiwan Citation Index—Humanities and Social Sciences, TCI-HSS (臺灣人社引文資料庫) This database provides simple-search and advanced-search functions for the following:
- Selected peer-reviewed journals, selected academic books or academic book chapters, and dissertations in the humanities and social sciences.
- Citations of the above-mentioned indexed works.
- “Impact Factor” (IF) of journals indexed in this database.
- Cited counts of journals, individual dissertations, academic books and academic book chapters, and universities. Statistics of the above could be by year, by five-year range, or be an all-years cumulative statistic. The statistics could also be limited by subject fields.
Although this is a citation index database that does not directly provide full-text images, the search results provide hyperlinks to guide searchers to the associated articles, theses, or dissertations contained in the Taiwan Periodical Literature database or in the National Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations in Taiwan database respectively.
- Digital Images of Rare Books (古籍影像檢索系統) This database includes digital images from two sources: One is digitized from the NCL’s rare-books collection; the other one was acquired via NCL’s international collaboration digitalization project for Chinese rare books. For the former, by the end of 2019, over 11,777 titles in NCL’s rare books collection published before 1795 have been digitized. For the later, approximately 3,071,000 digital images have been acquired via international digitalization projects, mostly from the collaboration projects with famed libraries that have important rare Chinese books in their collections.
- Union Catalog of Rare Books Database (中文古籍聯合目錄) This is a union catalog of Chinese rare books held at the NCL and other libraries, mainly those libraries that hold Chinese rare books and have signed the cooperation MOU with the NCL. Up to now, it contains over 750,000 titles held at 83 academic institutions and libraries in the world.
- Bronze & Stone Rubbing Database (金石拓片資料) This database contains digital images of rubbings of bronze and stone inscriptions held at the NCL, covering 7,093 titles and as many as 13,634 images.
- Archives Cross Boundaries (國家發展委員會檔案管理局Across檔案資源整合查詢平台)
- This ACROSS system is a comprehensive digital-archives portal that has integrated 89 databases developed by 37 libraries, museums, and archives mainly in Taiwan.
- This database system has classified its contents by content, time, type, and agencies (holding institutions), allowing searchers to browse via different facets.
- This database also provides both simple and advanced search functions. The search results provide hyperlinks to guide searchers to the institutions that own the item. It is possible to have access to the digital images from the institution’s database.
- Taiwan Digital Archives (典藏臺灣)
- A portal to guide users to the digital collections of various institutions in Taiwan.
- It is easier to use the Chinese version (landing page) to search by subject or by institution.
- The database provides images of open-access materials and will guide searchers to the holding institutions’ webpages.
- Digital Archive of Rare Books (善本古籍數位典藏系統) This database is a digital archive of Chinese rare books held at the National Taiwan Normal University (NTNU) Library.
- Image System for Periodicals of Japanese Ruled Period (日治時期期刊全文影像系統) This database provides access to articles’ full-text images of periodicals published during the Japanese-ruled period. Subjects range from politics, economics, literature, and religion to the arts. There are about 320 titles of journals and magazines included in this database, making this database the most comprehensive one of its kind.
- Image System for Books of Japanese Ruled Period (日治時期圖書全文影像系統) This database contains a collection of more than 160,000 volumes of books in Japanese published during the Japanese-ruled period. They were originally stored in the warehouse of the Japanese Governor’s Office, of which about 60,000 volumes were Ming and Qing publications.
- Journal of National Essence (國粹學報全文資料庫) The Bulletin of National Essence database contains works from the Ming and Qing dynasties, when the importance of the study of academic history was emphasized and criticisms and essays that reflect the contents of such in the past and at the time were sought. There were eighty-two issues published between February 23, 1905, and March 1911. Each issue included both authored articles of the time and manuscripts by past sages, including their portrait. From Issue 26, a pictorial encyclopedic column to list domestic plants and animals with illustrations was included. There are over six hundred images contained in this database, including rubbings, calligraphies, paintings, illustrations, and more. The total searchable entries in this database counted more than three thousand, providing access to full-text images of more than one thousand pieces of writings.