Undergraduate honors theses and capstones
The SDR hosts dozens of collections containing undergraduate honors theses, project reports, research publications and other works produced by students as part of their culminating academic experience while at Stanford. Using the online deposit application at https://sdr.stanford.edu, students are able to upload their work directly to the collection managed by their department or academic program. These works are preserved in the repository and published for discovery and access by other students and scholars.
Because the SDR provides a centralized, long-term home for these works, Stanford schools, departments, and other academic programs benefit by being able to develop an online archive of student publications to share with the world without having to store, track, and host the files on their own.
Students enjoy the benefit of having their work discoverable and published online at a persistent Stanford link which can be reliably cited throughout their academic and professional careers.
The video below provides a brief overview of the process of depositing a student work in the SDR.
- Easy-to-use system for adding files and descriptive information for the deposit
- Configurable workflow to allow for faculty or staff review of student deposits before they are published
- Configurable settings for access levels (world or Stanford) and a menu of optional licenses
- Option to embargo the publication (delay the release) for up to 3 years from time of deposit
- Option to obtain a DOI for a deposit
- Each deposited work is published at a persistent URL (PURL) where it can be reliably accessed in the future
- Each deposited work is added to the library catalog, SearchWorks, where it can be discovered along with other works by Stanford students and faculty
Current faculty, staff, and students
Users must have a valid, active SUNet account and must have been granted permission to create collections or to deposit, manage or review works in a collection.
Free of charge
- Check out the list of current participating departments and programs
- Students: you can contact your program's Student Services Officer to inquire about using the SDR deposit service for your honors thesis, capstone, or other student work
- Department administrators: you can contact your subject librarian or the SDR team who can advise on the process and help with setting up a new collection or updating an existing one
- Contact the SDR team
- Visit the Documentation section, including the FAQs
- Customizable student instructions for collection managers (.docx, please download your own copy to edit)