Borrow, renew, return
What you'll need
Eligible Stanford ID cardholders can check out materials at the Libraries or use the Request & pickup service.
Request & pick up service
You can request books and other materials from a variety of collections, including most branch and auxiliary libraries, for pick up at Green Library, East Asia Library, or Miller Library. The Business Library and Law Library also have request and pick up services.
- Submit your request in SearchWorks, our online catalog. Eligible materials are marked with a Request button.
- We will find the materials and prepare them for pickup.
- Once the materials are ready, we will notify you with instructions for picking up your items at one of the Libraries.
- You must follow all access and safety guidelines to enter the Library.
Number of items that may be borrowed
Campus ID Card holders have no book checkout limit. Some patrons are limited to 25 items. (Books from the Medical Library and SLAC don't count toward this limit.)
Length of time items may be kept
Most books in Green Library can be borrowed for 28 days by undergraduates, for a quarter by graduate students, and for a year by faculty. Bound journals and periodicals can usually be borrowed for 7 days. Policies vary by branch and type of material, so check individual libraries for specifics.
Print materials on reserve for Stanford University courses can typically be checked out for two hours to several days. If you checkout the material near closing time, overnight checkout may be permitted at some libraries. Please inquire about the policy on overnight use from the lending library.
Media reserve materials at the Media & Microtext Center in Green Library can usually be checked out for four hours. Overnight check out is available within four hours of the media area's closing time. Items checked out overnight must be returned within one hour after opening the following day.
Media & Microtext Center
The Media & Microtext collection has special policies. Please contact the Media & Microtext Center if you have questions.
- The microtext collection (microfilm, microfiche, microcards, and microprints) must be used in the Media & Microtext Center.
- The media collection (DVDs, Blu-ray discs, Videogames, CD-ROMs, Laser discs, slides, etc) may be borrowed by most users for seven days. Media reserve materials may be borrowed for four hours.
- Faculty and academic staff are eligible to renew materials online once using My Account. All other borrowers must renew materials in person at the Media & Microtext Center desk.
- Faculty are eligible for extended loans of media for course-related instruction. Request an extended loan at the circulation desk from a supervisor.
- Some media can only be viewed in the Media & Microtext Center.
- Patrons may reserve media items for scheduled loans, such as for a group screening. Reservations can be placed at the Media & Microtext Center desk.