Borrow, renew, return
Special book return information while the libraries are closed (effective March 2020)
Three outdoor book drops are currently open:
- Green Library East Wing, south side of the building entrance facing the red fountain and Coupa Cafe
- Green Library East Wing, north side of the building, on the sidewalk close to the Green Library's loading dock and facing the Hoover Tower
- Crown Law Library, northeast corner of the Law Library building (559 Nathan Abbott Way)
All other book return bins on campus have been temporarily locked. The Bing Wing book drop facing the Quad is also temporarily locked/unavailable.
Once staff can come back to campus, we will process and back date items returned via the book drops.
Return library materials by mail:
- Book returns are being accepted by mail, but processing of packages will be delayed until Green Library reopens for normal business.
- The Stanford University Libraries assumes no risk for items returned by mail. Items are not considered "returned" until they are actually received and processed by library staff. We will back date books returned by mail.
- We recommend that books are sent insured for at least $100 per item, via a service that provides tracking.
- Central return address for all Stanford University Libraries:
Cecil H. Green Library
Access Services Dept.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6063
Please include your name and contact information with the package
Before contacting us about the status of your books, please check MyAccount.
You are responsible for items checked out under your name until the items have been returned. If you think you returned your items, you can initiate a Claims Returned Search by contacting the owning library after the libraries reopen for business. If the material is not located after four staff searches over a one-month period, you will be held liable for replacement costs and a non-refundable billing fee.