Borrow, renew, return
You can return Stanford Libraries materials to any of the open book drops or by mail. Please don't attempt to disinfect library materials.
These outdoor book drops are currently open:
- Green Library East Wing, south side of the building entrance facing the red fountain and Coupa Cafe
- Green Library East Wing, north side of the building, on the sidewalk close to the Green Library's loading dock and facing the Hoover Tower
- Green Library Bing Wing, west side of the building, facing the Quad
- Earth Sciences Library (Branner), Panama Mall, just outside the lobby doors on the south-west side of the Mitchell Building
- East Asia Library (EAL), outside of Lathrop Library on the ground floor
- Crown Law Library, northeast corner of the Law Library building (559 Nathan Abbott Way)
- Business Library, near the library entrance in the Robert M. and Anne T. Bass Center
- SAL 1&2 loading dock, 691 Pampas Ln, Stanford, CA 94305. Ten minute parking is available.
All other book return bins on campus have been temporarily locked.
Return library materials by mail:
- Book returns are being accepted by mail, but processing of packages will be delayed until Green Library reopens for normal business.
- The Stanford University Libraries assumes no risk for items returned by mail. Items are not considered "returned" until they are actually received and processed by library staff. We will back date books returned by mail.
- We recommend that books are sent insured for at least $100 per item, via a service that provides tracking.
- Central return address for all Stanford University Libraries:
Cecil H. Green Library
Access Services Dept.
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6063
Please include your name and contact information with the package
Before contacting us about the status of your books, please check My Account.
You are responsible for items checked out under your name until the items have been returned. If you think you returned your items, you can initiate a Claims Returned Search by contacting the owning library after the libraries reopen for business. If the material is not located after four staff searches over a one-month period, you will be held liable for replacement costs and a non-refundable billing fee.